Square taper, grease or not!!!!

...if you were a female member of the forum that would take on a whole different meaning!

But no, I left it out to save weight for the Shipping...:LOL:

hollister":2e8vn24d said:
We_are_Stevo":2e8vn24d said:
but it happened at too opportune a moment not to include it here... :|

:
That tells me all I need to know

The piano player just stopped playing, tumbleweed rolls down the street outside, and an attractive woman with a low neckline screams off camera... :twisted:

We_are_Stevo":yjfm9jri said:
...if you were a female member of the forum that would take on a whole different meaning!

With or without… grease on the tool ? :mrgreen:

WOW! Six pages of views and no significant majority on either side. That must show it doesn't matter either way so stick with whatever method you prefer, it won't make a bit of difference apparently.

Experiment
Take to bikes and leave them down the coast for a couple of months.Say 4 as cranks arent taken off regularly + tbf its a hell of a lot longer than that sometimes years or decades.
Bike A gets greased taper
Bike B gets no grease on the taper.
Torque both cranks the same[probably best to use the same model if possible]

Camp .Greasy taper- state the ungreased crank may seize on
Camp .Dry as a bone - state the ungreased crank will come off easily

Talk is cheap,the only real way to resolve this is to maybe try the above :?

dyna-ti":25llrqdl said:
Experiment
Take to bikes and leave them down the coast for a couple of months.Say 4 as cranks arent taken off regularly + tbf its a hell of a lot longer than that sometimes years or decades.
Bike A gets greased taper
Bike B gets no grease on the taper.
Torque both cranks the same[probably best to use the same model if possible]

Camp .Greasy taper- state the ungreased crank may seize on
Camp .Dry as a bone - state the ungreased crank will come off easily

Talk is cheap,the only real way to resolve this is to maybe try the above :?
The problem with this proposal is the "Torque both cranks the same[probably best to use the same model if possible]" bit. for the same torque applied to the threads, the greased taper will have moved further (the grease reduces the friction between the surfaces, requiring a lower torque on the tightening tool to move the same distance along the taper). So, if we torque the cranks up to the ideal torque for the ungreased setup, the greased setup will have moved further along the taper, causing plastic deformation to the softer part of the system (almost certainly the aluminium crank rather than the steel bottom bracket axle), thus permanently damaging the cranks.

I am on the "dry as a bone" side of this argument and have never yet had a crank arm seize onto a square taper bottom bracket, not in the 30+ years that I've been faffing about with bikes.

grahame":lrlae2t3 said:
The problem with this proposal is the "Torque both cranks the same[probably best to use the same model if possible]" bit. for the same torque applied to the threads, the greased taper will have moved further (the grease reduces the friction between the surfaces, requiring a lower torque on the tightening tool to move the same distance along the taper). So, if we torque the cranks up to the ideal torque for the ungreased setup, the greased setup will have moved further along the taper, causing plastic deformation to the softer part of the system (almost certainly the aluminium crank rather than the steel bottom bracket axle), thus permanently damaging the cranks.

Not according to the Bods at Raceface... ;)

From the Raceface data.

Cranks tend to "suckon" to a greased spindle approximately 0.5mm
(0.020") further than they would onto a dry spindle
using the same torque value (28 ft/lbs. max.) on the
crank bolt. We have taken this into cons ideration in
the CNC machining of our tapers to ensure it is not a
problem.

Back