Square taper, grease or not!!!!

...not quite! :shock:

Photo0080_zps3c598485.jpg

This is what happens when someone doesn't grease their tapers! :x

Apologies for the crappy phone pic but I just couldn't be arsed to go upstairs and dig my camera out of the box just to prove a point!

Sorry to throw this into the mix but there might be a very good reason why some do and some dont. It might have something to do with weather.
We in the uk have a fair bit of rain whiich as we know promotes rust,which in turn could very well cause seizing problems whereas hotter countries wouldnt have to do this due to having less moisture in the air

.not quite!

Indeed .At the bike station Glasgow in the last 3 or 4 months we've probably snapped about 3 crank pullers(i sheared one off myself). These were shimano ones and not cheaply made of cheese.

We_are_Stevo":2ofxoqp5 said:

Apologies for the crappy phone pic but I just couldn't be arsed to go upstairs and dig my camera out of the box just to prove a point!
That's not because there is no grease on the taper

And if you believe it is, the real problem is what old time radio men referred to as "a short between the earphones"

We_are_Stevo":1ocz7ngp said:

shite tool!

My Park tool is in its 15th year

crank-puller-ccp-2-from-park-tool-usa.jpg

Lance told me that anything to do with cycling works better with a little bit extra

hollister":ndg2fr74 said:
That's not because there is no grease on the taper

And if you believe it is, the real problem is what old time radio men referred to as "a short between the earphones"

No, it's probably because the cranks have never been off in the life of the bike but it happened at too opportune a moment not to include it here... :|

legrandefromage":ndg2fr74 said:
shite tool!

That's as maybe but it doesn't alter the fact it's never happened to me before... ;)

We_are_Stevo":359swgdt said:

To be honest, I have had exactly the same crank tool snap on me on a friends bike, that had only been assembled a month by a local "high street chain of bike shop, with green and yellow livery", and had been greased.... so go figure :roll:

legrandefromage":359swgdt said:
shite tool!

crank-puller-ccp-2-from-park-tool-usa.jpg

Ditto. my Campagnolo tool is in its 25th year, and still going strong (same as this one... image lifted off the wonder-web)
campagnolo-crank-extractor-tool-770-nos.jpg

G

We_are_Stevo":2ls9mycm said:

If I understand, I have won a bit of your tool in the box :LOL:

Back