MTB 2.1 2.2 Tyres comfort

passiflora

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Wondering if there are any recommendations for tyres with a bit of trail comfort.

Currently have a farmer john on the front of my A-stars and find it a bit harsh with the alloy and no suspension.

So any recommendations for something a bit wider, amberwall etc, old style front.

Have you tried running your current tyres at different pressures. I find that most tyres have a "sweet spot" where they're firm enough to still roll well, but soft enough to not be too harsh. For me at 13st/85Kg this is about 50psi for both my 26x1.75 road tyres and my 26x2.00 off road tyres. 5psi lower and they're noticeably "draggy", 5psi more and they start to feel harsh.

50psi - off road?? :shock: A good rule of thumb is your weight in stones x2 then add 2 for the rear tyre and subtract 1 for the front.
So for me at 11 stone with my riding gear, Camelback etc. that would be 24 and 21 psi. Pretty close actually and I certainly never use any more than that.
This thinking that higher pressures are more efficient off-road has pretty much gone out the window now.

50psi - off road??

Most of my rides are a mixture of road and cinder paths because that's what's around me. I don't drive, so I don't have the option of driving to the nearest woods and doing a purely off road ride.

Even so, I use 30-35psi for rides combining road and off-road. 50psi offroad - do you even have any wrists left!?

I just find the tioga front tyre is quite narrow.

I'm sure back in the day we used to run 2.1 2.2 on the front. I'm afraid that when I'm cycling on the road I also like a bit of pressure :LOL: .

Was wondering about WTB tyres....would they be more suitable.

Old tyres are rubbish anyway, so the only way to make the best of them is to reduce the pressures. If you like high pressures in your old tyres, then coming on here to discuss how to make them less skittish and uncomfortable is a bit like the man who went to the doctor complaining about the pain he got in his eye whenever he was drinking tea. I'm sure you know what the doctor said.

Back