Preparing for a 40mile road ride... What do I need?

Decent shorts are a must...since having bought a road bike I've been amazed at comfy good shorts are, especially bib shorts because they don't slide down as you ride.

Take plenty to eat, nibbling small amounts constantly to keep your energy levels up. I'd see how you get on with energy drinks before you take them. Personally I can't use them because they make me gag and don't seem to sit well in my stomach. Even the likes of Torq drinks that people rave about are revolting.

A few layers will be useful too...a decent base layer that wicks sweat away combined with something to keep the wind off you. I find road riding much colder than mountain bikes because you are in one position for longer.

As the surface will be tarmac use slick tyres for less rolling resistance, increase pressure or lockout your forks, the suspension will absorb much of that hard work from your pedaling! Be conservative but consistent with your pedaling.

saulus":e5z0spyi said:
..to shave your legs! :shock: :)

Not really.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Not shaving my legs!!

Right decided just to remove my bash ring and replace with an outer ring so still got the 36T middle ring as I get on well with that ratio off road. So now have a 44T outer which should be more respectable on road.

Tyres will be swapped back to dmr moto RTs for the ride can't be bothered with buying more tyres for one big road ride, and from previous experience the DMRs with a good 50psi in roll pretty well anyway.

Just need to purchase some cycling shorts and keep on getting the miles in. Did 14miles before work yesterday in 65minutes which I didn't think was too bad (fair amount of climbing on the route I took and only a 36t front ring).

2A7C777B-B16C-492C-9A0A-F86125E55A4A-4258-000003C3909B35BE_zps7d53e974.jpg

Despite buying a road bike and actually liking it, I refuse to shave my kegs too. Only downside is your hair pokes through the lycra which is not an attractive look! Especially in your nether regions!

ChrisR":1eck8v99 said:
saulus":1eck8v99 said:
..to shave your legs! :shock: :)

Not really.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Not shaving my legs!!

Right decided just to remove my bash ring and replace with an outer ring so still got the 36T middle ring as I get on well with that ratio off road. So now have a 44T outer which should be more respectable on road.

Tyres will be swapped back to dmr moto RTs for the ride can't be bothered with buying more tyres for one big road ride, and from previous experience the DMRs with a good 50psi in roll pretty well anyway.

Just need to purchase some cycling shorts and keep on getting the miles in. Did 14miles before work yesterday in 65minutes which I didn't think was too bad (fair amount of climbing on the route I took and only a 36t front ring).

2A7C777B-B16C-492C-9A0A-F86125E55A4A-4258-000003C3909B35BE_zps7d53e974.jpg

What app is that if you dont mind me asking?

Just get some bait and fluids, some spares/tools and ride it?

Shaving legs, changing tyres?

40 miles on road is not hard :?

40 miles offroad is hard.

Surely that's subjective to your fitness levels? :/

I'm sure I'll be fine, my fitness has greatly improved since starting riding again and I think nothing of riding 15+miles. Where as when I first began riding again 3-5miles was an effort!

Back