Paint Stripping and another point

Send it away ,
If you intend to paint it yourself , it can get really costly in time and paint and stress.
I've had several frames blasted primed and painted and decals applied for far less than I would with rattle cans.unless you have access to proper paint sprayer that is.
The finisher I use is in London, pm me for details if you want

pullingteeth":38nh2fth said:
Send it away

This is probably the best advice. Unless you enjoy the process of stripping paint (which I would not judge anyone who does) having a shop do it as part of a pro paint job is great. Although if you are doing this job on the cheap then the worst thing that could happen is it ends up in a shop after you get tired of the whole process. The blowtorch idea sounds a little sketchy on a lugged frame. Isn't there some risk of inadvertently de-brazing your bike?

Steven

The heat that bubbles paint is a long long way from de-brazing temp! I agree that diy frame painting isn't a great way to save money but there is something to be said for stripping it yourself just to see what is under the paint in terms of cracks, rust, previous repairs, serial numbers etc.

Nitromors is much less potent than it used to be as it no longer contains Dichloromethane.

However, I have an "under the counter/brown paper bag/ask no questions" source for the good stuff (wink wink, nudge, nudge).

Even though it is far better than NM, there is still a lot of work involved getting the last of the paint off. I doubt you'll save more than the price of a pint at most and once you factor in the effort and hassle involved, it's a just not worth it.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for the Monty Python answer Jim, say no more, say no more....

Thanks all. I'll get my coat ...

and head to the shed!

Back