Issues with older alloy light flat handlebars ?

SaracenSteve

Old School Hero
Probably me being dim (default setting) but are there any issues with using 25 year old lightweight alloy handlebars?
They are 1989 saracen Ergal alloy off a kili flyer comp and quite rare so i would like to use them.
There are no outward signs of damage. i would hate to kill myself with them unnecessarily :)
thanks
Steve

Check carefully around the clamp area for any sign of cracking. If none, oyu should be OK. They were some bad ones around (particularly Marin) with external machining which became a source of cracking, but that was mid 90's.

I think it can also depend if you yourself are "light" or "not light".
These bars were 15 years old UNO Kalloy. They had a bit of scoring around the stem clamp. When you look at the end of the tube it is amazing how thin the tube is. So I would look for any defects and then decide.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 213
I certainly wouldn't use them if there were any stress risers around the stem clamp area - this applies whatever the age of the bars. If they look like new and are defect-free then it's probably safe to use them. I don't like really light aluminium bars though, although I have used them back in the day when I was younger and bothered about weight more than I do now.

i use 20 year old alloy bars without problems, and i'm .....ahem.....never last in a que at the buffet!..............just check for any signs before you fit them.......

When i was taking delivery of my new bike back in '96 the shop urged me to "make sure you replace the [alloy] handlebar every year". I'm still riding those same bars today - 16 years of regular use and still got my front teeth :LOL:

Back