Bloody jobsworths

I know no air transfers, just heat. Wasn't thinking. Sorry. I can go into the physics of it if you want, but it'll take forever, and be extremely boring.

David B":hfnh0ase said:
Re. the fridge/freezer - apparently they do need to be in a room above a certain temperature otherwise they'll stop working purely because the thermostat thinks nothing needs doing. Fine for the fridge bit but not the freezer compartment.

I don't see how that can be right - why would the thermostat be measuring the room temperature in any way? Surely the thermostat should be measuring the temperature in the target environment, not the ambient temperature?

I read that the air around the condenser must be at "room temperature" for the condenser to work... but surely the condenser should work more efficiently if the ambient temperature is a bit lower than usual?

So far it only makes sense to me that these minimum ambient temperatures are those required to prevent the temperature in the fridge from dropping too low and the contents freezing... I'd be happy to be enlightened though!

unkleGsif":2skavq1m said:
those little ports are to drain off the condensate builds up from when the warm, moist air from the kitchen enters the cold, dry air inside the fridge when the door opens

frost free freezers have little heater elements that come on when in defrost mode i think, then the water drains out the back the same as with fridges, and onto a tray that sits above the warm compressor and evaporates

G
What I meant was with the frost free ones (and I thought the condensate wasn't just about warm air from the kitchen - or in my case, artic air from the garage - there'd also be the potential of condensate due to what was going on with the frost-free / auto defrost thing) - there wasn't the same degree of "closed system" in terms of the air - perhaps with the refirgerant gases - I mean who'd want them venting, eh - well maybe a little, just to top off the booze.

And there's also a fair point by Pyro Tim, heat will radiate out in terms of how the compressor is chilling the fridge. The frost-free ones just add a bit to that, 'cos mostly they add a little heat into the system to do the defrosting (either that, or cheat a bit with reusing some of the heat produced, rather ironically, to chill).

Pyro Tim":1memdkww said:
I know no air transfers, just heat. Wasn't thinking. Sorry. I can go into the physics of it if you want, but it'll take forever, and be extremely boring.

So could I, but I have slept for just 8hrs in the last week, and really cant be ar$ed

G

The chap told me that the freezer would stop but not why, sorry I cannot enlighten you :(

Alison

ajm":mh00va65 said:
David B":mh00va65 said:
Re. the fridge/freezer - apparently they do need to be in a room above a certain temperature otherwise they'll stop working purely because the thermostat thinks nothing needs doing. Fine for the fridge bit but not the freezer compartment.

I don't see how that can be right - why would the thermostat be measuring the room temperature in any way? Surely the thermostat should be measuring the temperature in the target environment, not the ambient temperature?

I read that the air around the condenser must be at "room temperature" for the condenser to work... but surely the condenser should work more efficiently if the ambient temperature is a bit lower than usual?

So far it only makes sense to me that these minimum ambient temperatures are those required to prevent the temperature in the fridge from dropping too low and the contents freezing... I'd be happy to be enlightened though!
Well car air-con systems have thermal cut-outs, so that if the ambient is too low, the air-con compressor won't run - so that the evaporator doesn't ice up.

Probably a similar principle applies to a fridge, really. As I mentioned in another post, a fridge freezer I bought a couple of years back, had a think on the label about being suitable for garages and colder environments, so there's obviously some things they can do for fridges running in colder rooms.

being a bloke i have no idea what a "wasshing machieen" is but i do know mine makes a cracking cuppa................

Back