SPDs... Am I really missing out?

I've been most impressed by my pair of DHB shoes from wiggle, granted they are the carbon soled ones but there is a cheaper model.

Still on my first pair of SPD-compatible shoes, a pair of Sidi Dominator 4s that I paid a hundred quid for (new) about ten years ago.
I don't consider myself to have wide feet, but found that the 'Mega' (wider) fitting was right for me.
Sidis are almost indestructible, and so comfortable. I'll replace them with Dominator 5s when they finally kick the bucket - you get what you pay for with shoes, imo.
M540s are my pedal of choice whether on MTB or road bike.

I wouldn't put flat pedals on anything other than a pub/cruiser bike now (which is what my Cannondale became before I stripped it).

+ lots for Time , I run the Aliums and as previously mentioned you can get them for about 10>15 quid on fleabay , loads of float for the dodgy knee brigade (I've had operations on both of them but not due to cycling), and they work in the mud.
Shoe wise I run Shimano ones Mt33's and MT 91 dependent on the time of year, both have walking boot type soles and are just as comfy to walk in as approach shoes /light walking boots.
Matthew

T'boo Ted":34p3t5e6 said:
I'll just bunny hop up this curb, oh I seem to have just jumped off the bike, oophs......

You're doing it wrong then ;)

I grew up with cleats on roadies (with only 1 fall before I learned to track-stand), so SPD's off road were like second nature from the get-go
V12's and trainees on the BMX tho, and XT flats on the retro SS "city" bike (1990 Cindercone)
SPD's for me are about control, stability, power comfort, efficiency and habit

G

Reluctantly tried and converted to SPDs last year and NLB. Started with a cheap pair of 520s then after realising it was the way forward bought a fancy pair of M780s. Also splashed out on some Sidi Dominator 5s.. for me it's a winning combo (except when I get burnt off by a Borris bike).

Well I've done it. Now riding on spds.

First ride was a bit tentative but overall very impressed. Climbing appears to be easier. Just have to keep reminding myself when approaching a stop to unclip lol. Nearly got caught out on a climb by a tractor coming the other way and me having to swiftly unclip to get out his way.. I was just nearing the top and he came over the brow of the hill at a fair rate obviously not expecting a cyclist.

Latest posts

Back