1996 Gary Fisher X Caliber.... neo retro dun dun duuuun!

skinnyboy

Senior Retro Guru
So a new year demands a new build. Just picked up this lovely 16.5" 1996 Gary Fisher Xcaliber RX frame. Its pretty tatty but otherwise in sound condition. Now i have a slew of recent modern bits hanging around waiting on a frame to lavish them on so have decided to give this old girl a new flavour. I'll be getting the topper lads at Gripsport here in Melbourne to weld on a rear brake mount and some hose guides and delete the canti mounts at the back. Gil has had a heads up for the decals and I'm now scouring t'web for the rest of the finishing kit, in this instance pretty much all Bonty modern stuff. I'll refinish the Psylos I've got in white to add a dash of joie de vivre!

Probably go with a metallic tangerine colour for the frame inspired by the original matte copper once its back from Gripsport.

484727_10151352769101051_53579639_n.jpg

will keep an eye on this one, nothing wrong with modifying a retro frame (people have been modifying retro-cars and anything! since time began), nice frame so it deserves to be kept going :)

Im actually a big fan of putting modern bits on retro frames. Gives it a new life almost :D definitely keeping an eye on this

Aye this is nice frame but nothing sacred. Should work out the cheapest bike I've done in a long time. Plus modern stuff is so easy to get. I've got an SR Litage that I want to do retro period perfect and that is taking forever to source the right bits. Happy trails!

Okays bit of an update. Trying to find nice understated Bonty stuff is impossible! So Im going with Crank Brothers kit, a'la seatpost, bars, stem, grips and skewers. Frame is off this weekend to get modified and powdercoated along with the fork lowers. Going for this colour.

onza-lynx3.jpg

Had a bit of a faff with those Onza tyres from Evans who don't ship out here in the colonies due to contractual agreements. and they seem to be the only one who have them. Might have to order them and get them sent to mummy dearests in Cheshire.

Back