Bells and whistles

A nice idea I picked up from riders in Spain is a little cat collar bell on the front cables, suspended where they cross. The gentle tinkling alerts people you are there without you consciously doing so.

The gentle tinkling alerts people you are there without you consciously doing so.

I think that gentle tinkling might well drive me to distraction. I can't stand rattles or squeeks on my bicycles and if any develop I sort them out pronto. I even serviced my friends bicycle for him, not so much as a favour to him, but because the general cacophony it was making when we rode together was getting on my nerves. :p

I don't have a bell or horn and usually just slow and say "excuse me" or "on your left/right". Bells and horns often seem to panick people and they are as likely to step into your path as out of it.

when on the retro urban ride in London, we just followed PurleySquire, and his goose honk from his cantis did the trick. Fitted a bell to the wifes bike, and am now considering one for rides on the prom. It did help

Pyro Tim":1t9guwl3 said:
when on the retro urban ride in London, we just followed PurleySquire, and his goose honk from his cantis did the trick. Fitted a bell to the wifes bike, and am now considering one for rides on the prom. It did help
Purleys front brake was immense! The noise was insane and really did sound like a goose have a fit in your ear! Effective though :cool:

xerxes":2ccb1xuv said:
The gentle tinkling alerts people you are there without you consciously doing so.

I think that gentle tinkling might well drive me to distraction.

Because it's exactly the same all the time, and I know what it is (i.e not a cracked frame or creaking BB), I soon tuned it out... :)

Back