sad news from Bristol

NeilM":398vxu5i said:
A bus driver in Bristol took out a cyclist with his bus, and was filmed on CCTV. The cyclist didn't die, but was pretty badly injured, the bus driver got 18 months.

A taxi driver in Solihull hit a cyclist, threw him onto the bonnet of his taxi and then drove for 90 metres until he hit a tree. The cyclist was killed the Taxi driver got 3 points and a £35 fine.

A man parked his car in the cycle lane of a busy road (illegally), opened the door without looking and knocked a cyclist under a bus. The cyclist was killed, the car driver was charged and taken to court and got off with it.

There are a lot more examples.

Nuff sed.

I completely agree Neil. It is outragous that the legal system seems to afford cyclists such little protection. :evil:

I do hope the driver gets a long custodial sentence but I won't be holding my breath. Either way it won't bring this couple back. :cry:

Does anyone know the sequence of events? Truly horrible, I hope there's no young children orphaned.

gtRTSdh":2cyxsnrr said:
Does anyone know the sequence of events? Truly horrible, I hope there's no young children orphaned.

Seems that Citroen Picaso was spotted going fast by a Policeman, when he tried to pull them over they ignored him, so he started to follow (not pursue), but they lost him pretty quickly. It then appears they hit another (stationary?) car and then the cyclists. There have been no reports of how far they drove after that, but shortly afterwards they bailed and ran.

A couple of hours later the bloke turned himself in (and is being held), then later the Police arrested a woman for dangerous driving.

We can only hope that there is a cyclist (or two) on the Jury when this case goes to trial.

NeilM":g1svns3s said:
gtRTSdh":g1svns3s said:

Seems that Citroen Picaso was spotted going fast by a Policeman, when he tried to pull them over they ignored him, so he started to follow (not pursue), but they lost him pretty quickly. It then appears they hit another (stationary?) car and then the cyclists. There have been no reports of how far they drove after that, but shortly afterwards they bailed and ran.

A couple of hours later the bloke turned himself in (and is being held), then later the Police arrested a woman for dangerous driving.

We can only hope that there is a cyclist (or two) on the Jury when this case goes to trial.

Sounds like some form of under the influence, man confesses (possibly clean blood) but falls to bits and partner / wife was the real culprit and has been arrested.

If that's the case they deserve double manslaughter sentence.

On my way to a job tonight I passed a guy lying in the road knocked off his bike by a car :cry:

saltyman":2a0a0avt said:
http://news.sky.com/story/1044714/bristol-tandem-cyclists-deaths-man-charged

Pretty much what I expected, although I thought drink was involved.

So in trying to avoid being caught for offences that would have got him possibly a short sentence and a fine, he managed to murder two people... oh sorry, cause the death of two people by dangerous driving......

if the police could be bothered to act about anything other than speeding this could have been avoided.

Back