Is planet earth f**ked and should scientists be impartial?

yes.

vast majority of people, and there's a shit load of them, are all out to get as much for themselves regardless of the cost to other beings, creatures or the planet.

we are doomed. it will begin to kick off when the oil runs out, then the food ....

most scientists are no different than prostitutes, they tend to bend science to get grants

Prostitutes can get grants? I am calling my auntie right now, she can apply to the Government instead of freezing her ass off down the docks.

Some research results are predetermined, and funding contingent on underpinning the interests of the fundees.

It is all down to human nature, and the way impartiality is undermined by capitalism.

highlandsflyer":236xbcrs said:
Prostitutes can get grants? I am calling my auntie right now, she can apply to the Government instead of freezing her ass off down the docks.

I think they are phasing them out now. The IMF used to give grants to hookers regulary...well when Strauss-Kahn was in charge anyway

Humans as a species will survive and evolve evetually (due to envirometal change) into further species of humans. That is invevitable. What is also inevitable is the current population of 7 billion is unsustainable as is the proected population of 9 billion this century.

Civilisations rise and fall and our current global civilisation will decline one day. I do think however the predictions of doom and gloom are overstated. There are technological and lifestyle fixes to alot of our problem and these changes will not happen until they absolutley have to. Then when we have no choice anymore we will adapt we always do. Until we have no choice it will be business as normal in terms energy production, population growth, deforestation e.t.c.

The planet will be fine for a time but in 1 billion years the sun will be 10% brighter than today and it will be intollarably hot. All large animals will be extint. Life will be mostly in the oceans. 1.5 billion years from now the sun will be even brighter and the oceans will have boiled away and life will be at an end. So life on earth is doomed anyway.

sylus":1qz62u8n said:
most scientists are no different than prostitutes, they tend to bend science to get grants
Science can't be bent, it is also self-correcting. Plus in most cases scientists working in the industry have to come up with stuff that simply works, so it has to be correct. Scientists at universities will neither be likely to bend science. Only scientists who do research on request of politicians might apply to your idea. But they can't bend the facts either, facts are simply that.

On topic though, as much faith as I have in science, I still think we're pretty much f*****. We will only realize when it's to late.

Bram J":zsc7rr6v said:
sylus":zsc7rr6v said:
Science can't be bent, it is also self-correcting. Plus in most cases scientists working in the industry have to come up with stuff that simply works, so it has to be correct. Scientists at universities will neither be likely to bend science. Only scientists who do research on request of politicians might apply to your idea. But they can't bend the facts either, facts are simply that.

On topic though, as much faith as I have in science, I still think we're pretty much f*****. We will only realize when it's to late.

I would rather be optimistic than so terribly naive.

Latest posts

Back