Done... Tower Cycles to Harry Quinn!

Okay, bit of a U-Turn. The BB serial number has been staring me in the face... can't believe I didn't notice. The '0' also has a '1' stamped across it... making a 'Q'...

So not 02503. Q2503... A Harry Quinn frame!

Again, thanks to Tony on the CTC forum for spotting that. I was thinking just last night that I need another eyetest.

Going by the other serial numbers around mine, the Quinn registry on Classic Rendevous would date it to around 1963, which is in line with the original components it has. So perhaps it was built by Harry Quinn, then resprayed and built up with new wheels in '71 by Alan Richards and stickered as Tower Cycles.

http://classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Harry_Quinn/HQuinn_registry.htm

I may be completely wrong. But rather exciting stuff either way!

Oh, forgot to put up a bb picture, here it is...

tc_bb.jpg

Also thinking perhaps a new fork too in 1971 from Tower Cycles? Would 1963 be a bit early for the sloping internally lugged crown? I'll need to see if it has a serial number on the steerer when I get home. But might explain the 'built by Tower Cycles' decals on the forks and not frame. Pure speculation of course!

Cinelli internal sloping crowns were in vogue from early 60's onwards due to the then current trend of moving away from the intricate fancy hand cut lugs much loved by British framebuilders (and their subsequent demise!) to the more simplistic and clean cut Italian designs.......having a continental look or name to your frame had certain kudos amongst club and racing folk, your forks are most likely original to the frame as the steerer tube number will ultimately testify

your forks are most likely original to the frame as the steerer tube number will ultimately testify

Can't see any number on the steerer unfortunately, they look very much in keeping with the style of the frame, so based on what you said I'd be surprised if not original.

It may take a little while, but Alan Richards is hopefully going to check his logs so I may find out in the long term. I really like the idea of finding out who it was originally owned by. Fingers crossed he has a record!

Just adding a screenshot of where my frame would fit in the Harry Quinn registry.

Looks like some frames around my Q2503 time are listed as a bit later; Q1955 and Q2151 purchased in 1968. Perhaps these were built earlier, but not sold until '68, or would they have all been built to order? I imagine the dates would run consecutively with the frame numbers and not jump up and down!

hq_reg.jpg

Re: Update... Tower Cycles to Harry Quinn!

Had been my intention to update this as it went along...

The frame was away so long (fault of my own indecision) that I lost a little impetus. Anyway, it came back from some minor repairs and new paint via Woodrup looking rather good. Many thanks to Kevin Sayles for his help and patience, he also replaced filet brazed Claud Butler headtube beautifully.

So here's a photo of where it's at. Will aim to update with more specifics later on.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 523
Re:

I did actually finish this. It originally had some lovely Campag pedals but my dad couldn't get on with them, so other than a bit of cable shortening and brake lever adjustment this is how it ended up...

Attachments

• hq2.jpg
    hq2.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 423
  • hq3.jpg
    hq3.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 423
  • hq1.jpg
    hq1.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 423
Right enough. Never really paid attention to that. It's just off the Royal Mile in Edinburgh so I reckon it's an exclusive club!

Back