2009 Orange 5 with a 2011 face job.

Hi Stu.This is a bit of a blast from the past! Yep, still got it and it's the only bike I ride now really. Added a new Thomsons seat post, a blue Hope seat qr, different tyres that I don't really like and swapped the wheels for the same but in better condition and with silver spokes. ever lets me down :cool:

Considering some wider bars atm but am holding off doing too much as I'm tempted to have a go on Orange's new 140mm 29er when it comes out so don't really want to spend too much on this. :roll:

brocklanders023":g3f5o9i3 said:
Hi Stu.This is a bit of a blast from the past! Yep, still got it and it's the only bike I ride now really. Added a new Thomsons seat post, a blue Hope seat qr, different tyres that I don't really like and swapped the wheels for the same but in better condition and with silver spokes. ever lets me down :cool:

Considering some wider bars atm but am holding off doing too much as I'm tempted to have a go on Orange's new 140mm 29er when it comes out so don't really want to spend too much on this. :roll:
Appreciate I was digging up an old thread, but was just curious to see if it was still around. Long-termers are great, you get to evelove them. Personally that's why I wouldn't necesarily build an all-original retrobike as there's always something from stock that you want to change. Anyway, I digress...

What tyres don't you like out of interest?

Not sure what to think of 29ers generally, or the orange. Thought the new clockwork was one of the ugliest bikes i'd ever seen, but found a thread on singletrack of someone's and it looked awesome. :D

Agree on the 29er Clockwork. I was dead against it but have seen a few and it actually looks very nice. Just a shame about the name. I also didn't see the point of 29ers but having had a go on my mate's new one that's about my size I can understand the difference.

Have been thinking about changing the 5 for a newer one, basically because I'm a tart, but the cost has held me back. Really fancy having a proper demo on the upcoming 5 29er that Orange are testing atm as that should make my mind up.

That's why I'm holding back on doing anything else to my 5. As I said, I fancy some wider bars and would like to get the rear shock serviced and tuned. Saying all that, after the overhaul it had above it doesn't really 'need' anything else for the time being.

As for the tyres, they're Bontrager XR4 Team Issue. They came on the wheels I recently got from my mate and were in better nick then the Kenda's I had so thought I'd give them a go. They're ok overall but drag like hell going uphill so for no other reason then that they need to go!

Theres a matching dtswiss rear shock on ebay at the mo with remote lockout- new BIN £175.

That's a nice looking bike, it does look better in the later pics. Amazingly I have some original Talas forks (although the crappy Talas system has been replaced by Vanilla ones) and they're on the original stanchions and lowers. They are well overdue a service though.

DT forks were all the rage a while ago but seem to have fallen out of favour because they don't do a big, hard hitting fork like a 36 or a Lyric.

I guess swapping it for a newer Five wouldn't see a big change as they've evolved slowly, so the 29er may be a better bet.

I was pretty anti 29ers at first because I thought they looked silly, no one made tyres or forks etc but the new ones genuinely look great.

Mindmap3":f8tkrahk said:
That's a nice looking bike, it does look better in the later pics. Amazingly I have some original Talas forks (although the crappy Talas system has been replaced by Vanilla ones) and they're on the original stanchions and lowers. They are well overdue a service though.

DT forks were all the rage a while ago but seem to have fallen out of favour because they don't do a big, hard hitting fork like a 36 or a Lyric.

I guess swapping it for a newer Five wouldn't see a big change as they've evolved slowly, so the 29er may be a better bet.

I was pretty anti 29ers at first because I thought they looked silly, no one made tyres or forks etc but the new ones genuinely look great.

It's a real shame that more people don't try DT forks as I think many people would love them. I guess they don't pay off the mags for favourable reviews though :roll:

Agreed on the Five. I've been wanting to get a new one for a couple of years but the geometry of the latest model is the same as mine and it'll be no lighter so I have to use my head, not heart! The 5 29er could be the answer though ;)

brocklanders023":2g2j4uxf said:
Mindmap3":2g2j4uxf said:

It's a real shame that more people don't try DT forks as I think many people would love them. I guess they don't pay off the mags for favourable reviews though :roll:

Agreed on the Five. I've been wanting to get a new one for a couple of years but the geometry of the latest model is the same as mine and it'll be no lighter so I have to use my head, not heart! The 5 29er could be the answer though ;)

There are some pics of the 5 29er on STW and it looks pretty good. Although it'll only be available in black and gold to start with.

Apparently the entire allocation has been sold to shops already!

Back