cars for under a grand...?

We had 2 Multiplas - fab cars to drive so long as you remember how wide they are. Corner unbelievably well for an MPV. Facelift one is about 8mpg better.

trouble for under a grand is that everything on them will be slacker than a 30 year time served prossie

That multipla is one damm ugly car, looks like goofy from the bash street kids and on the 1k budget .....makes perfect sense

I took 5 mates into London in our Multipla - so 6 errm, "large" blokes inside. No problems at all. and the boot is big with all 6 seats in play.

However, to get a bike in with mudguards, two seats had to come out to use the angle. In the scenic, because no middle seat at the front, it goes straight down the middle, losing only 1 seat (though in both cases you still have 4!)

without mudguards or tri-bars, the multipla will take at least 2 bikes in the boot with all the seats in

If you look at that Multipla much longer, you'll go blind... even as an engineering graduate with a function over form outlook, I couldn't bear to have something that hideous anywhere near me. Plus, it's a Fiat....

Volvo 340 1.4 is a nice idea, but you'll probably struggle to find one now (and you'd want a manual one). Definitely quirky but very uncomplicated, comfortable and quite economical. We were given one for free about eleven years ago and I liked it, although it was about as uncool a car as it would be possible to have (and beige).

How about a Hyundai Accent? So incredibly bland you'll struggle to find it once parked, but very simple, straightforward, economical and mechanically pretty bombproof (if rather uninspiring to drive!) We were also given one of these for free a few years ago and despite being slightly snobby about it and not treating it to anything more than utterly essential maintenance it's certainly the cheapest car to run we've ever had.

I once test drove an Accent - gear shift was like stirring porridge with a 10 foot plastic straw. The body roll was probably the worst of any car I've ever driven, even going slowly with the sales manager in the passenger seat.

I had been quite tempted right up to the point I drove it. However that was 2000, and they should have got better since.

Renault Kangoo
Renault Scenic
Peugeot 508
VW Passat estate

No I'm not biased towards french cars, in fact I don't own any but know a hell of a lot of people with them and they really don't seem to be a crap as people think, they seem to get good reviews on autotrader used.

Out pf the lot, probably the Kangoo, great motors, stupidly practical.

Back