Will World War 3 ever happen?

jimo746":agsmrjxl said:
WW3 will be online, a mass multiplayer game of C.O.D., those nations without a PC/console in every house will naturally be crushed :LOL:

Computer games bore the pants off me, to be honest. Can't we settle things by playing Scrabble or a game of darts* instead? ;)

David

*N.B. any specified darts venue must have draught Landlord on sale. :)

cant see countries nuking eachother to be honest, although they are developing "tactical" take out something small like a military installation type personal nuke with a small yield rather than a city killer with the associated fallout. this i could see being used to put down any uprising.
but yea if it happens its going to start with palestine going over the border or north korea blowing something up in the south.

David B":2guvnrsj said:
jimo746":2guvnrsj said:
WW3 will be online, a mass multiplayer game of C.O.D., those nations without a PC/console in every house will naturally be crushed :LOL:

Computer games bore the pants off me, to be honest. Can't we settle things by playing Scrabble or a game of darts* instead? ;)

David

*N.B. any specified darts venue must have draught Landlord on sale. :)

What about Risk (board game version) instead? Not a fan of computer games either..would rather go for a ride somewhere.

WW3 will be about weapons that work best today.

There are several options being trialed as i write.

1) the internet. We are seeing this being used for significant attempted attacks on countries infrastructure, ie power stations and grids, info networks, Air trafic control, and the like. This could so easily bring countries to their knees.

2) Water. There are several places where water restriction is causing countries further down stream to have significant problems. Also, the poisening of water sources has been attampted more than once.

3) Food. It is said that we are 9 days away from starvation on any given day. Disruption of the food chain would be a big thing. Also, we, the west, throw away enough food every day to feed the the rest of the world. The EEC could feed most of us if the "market" was re-arranged. We must also consider Monsanto. They can sell you modified seed to withstand pests etc, but by contract, you may not collect seeds for the following year.

I myself have developed a plan to bring most of the country to a standstill, using a classic cell network only 4 layers deep.

Wouldn't take long to bring a country to its knees. Anyone giving that country support would face the same type of attack, and....WW3 is up and running.

Not in any way like the first two -

The first world war was effectively a squabble between cousins, to cut a long story short!
The second world war was caused by the hangover from the first world war, allowing Hitler to rise to power by giving the people something to blame for their poverty and a way out of it.

We are supposedly in the age of information and the sort of absolute power that was wielded by some of the instigators in the two previous world wars wouldn't be available today. For example, after the football game in the trenches in WW1, any fraternising with the enemy was banned with heavy punishment if you did. Why? Because the top brass knew they were fighting someone else's battle and if the grunts on the front line realised in any great number, there would be mutiny on either side.

rosstheboss":3q6fcg51 said:

The first world war was effectively a squabble between cousins, to cut a long story short!

Actually no, that was just a good excuse, in fact Germany was around 500km away from completing the Berin-Bagdhad railway, we couldn't allow another rapidly rising industrial nation access to the middle east and it's natural resources. The first british troops to be deployed in WWI were not deployed in europe but in Iraq, in Basra in fact, 2nd Dorset regiment.

rosstheboss":3esbb4dx said:

I thought it was all because some bloke named Archie Duke got hungry and shot an ostrich?

</Blackadder Goes Forth>

;)

David

B77":2p38lhpd said:
rosstheboss":2p38lhpd said:

Actually no, that was just a good excuse, in fact Germany was around 500km away from completing the Berin-Bagdhad railway, we couldn't allow another rapidly rising industrial nation access to the middle east and it's natural resources. The first british troops to be deployed in WWI were not deployed in europe but in Iraq, in Basra in fact, 2nd Dorset regiment.

Had to check this - The 2nd Dorset were deployed in November, the main BEF went to France in August. Where did you learn about the railway? I've never heard of it as a reason for the start of the war

Back