Specialized Rockhopper 1997

Yeah that cut off seems odd as the 97-99 ritchey nitanium steel frames would seem some of the beat they did?

i'm just chatting bollox really. but the main vibe i get is that the younger the Rockhopper frames get, the less people seem to like them....(that could be said for other bike manufacturers too - but i get this vibe the most with Specialized bikes - probably because i tend to look for Spesh more than any other bike)

seems to me that early to mid 90's rockhoppers had better write ups along with Stumpjumpers.
i don't know too much about the 97-99 nitanium stuff.
i don't even bother with Hardrocks (despite having one myself)

- anyway - i'm looking forward to seeing all the dirty bits on this bike gleaming. nothing like scrubbing up a dirt bag! :p

If a 93 Marin Bear Valley weighs 26lB what should a 97 Rockhopper weigh and is a 93 Rockhopper about the same

I love my 98 nitanium rockhopper.. nicest frame ive ever ridden!

dont know what it is... but it just fits me perfectly... and i love riding it!

ive got a couple of modern bikes (original inbred 456 and a commencal meta 5) that are faster and comfier over rough sections

but if i had to just go back to one bike... itd be the rockhopper I would keep!

spacehopper":1mg3i4bd said:
I love my 98 nitanium rockhopper.. nicest frame ive ever ridden!

dont know what it is... but it just fits me perfectly... and i love riding it!

ive got a couple of modern bikes (original inbred 456 and a commencal meta 5) that are faster and comfier over rough sections

but if i had to just go back to one bike... itd be the rockhopper I would keep!

sold mine but +1 for the sentiment, great frame... well worth an XT upgrade

I am currently unable to do much riding due to a knee complaint. So decided to make some progress on this.

Had to angle grind (!) the headset spacers, as they were bonded on the forks, and no big vice or penetrating oil combo shifted them. I didnt do this myself, but the person that did, did a great job, grinding them to a few mm so that they could be cut through by hand. No damage whatsoever to the forks.

Then after snapping a crappy bottom bracket tool with integrated handle, used a proper shimano one and BB came out after a bit of attention.

Now onto the cleaning individual parts...

Front mech:

BEFORE
BE0C8C17-orig.jpg

90F2F5C0-orig.jpg

USED THIS (AND ELBOW GREASE)
0E4E57EF-orig.jpg

AFTER
BA89D647-orig.jpg

72E209F7-orig.jpg

Not going to win a polishing award, but a good clean, degrease and then a quick going over on autosol has it looking pretty good.

Going to look at the manky rear mech tomorrow, needs new jockey wheels though..

Probably the most worn jockey wheel I have ever seen (rear right). Pointy bits are so sharp they are literally like needles!

9D898E8F.jpg

Latest posts

Back