Coming soon - '93 Kona content...............

mechagouki

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I bought this yesterday after much deliberation (I will probably have to sell my 2K4 Explosif to recoup funds.:() Just a few teasers today, will post full pix tomorrow or Monday after I have 'styled' the bike a little........

BTW: Anthony, as you know exactly what this is I'm relying on you to help me keep the others here waiting. ;)

17-04-08_1803.jpg

17-04-08_1807.jpg

17-04-08_1806.jpg

:D :D :D

The 2K4 Explosif is an 18" frame, sliding dropouts, True Temper OX Platinum, not sure what it would cost Canada to UK, I guess I could tear it down and just sell the frame and my disc only P2. Will think on it.

One more shot - Photoshopped slightly to protect the bikes identity.............

moddedttube.jpg

looks a tidy machine!

as for shipping, it cost me £70 ish to send an explosif frame only to the US from the UK, could use that as an initial estimate.

JeRkY":1vv4wl2x said:
looks a tidy machine!

Yes it is very clean, not NOS but I would probably class it as Near Mint, note the protective plastic still on the right hand thumbie! 15 years that little piece of polythene has managed to cling to that shifter - I give it about another 24 hours!

Tried to cheat and look at the catalogue, but all the bikes in that are the two-tone ones! :LOL:

XT says Explosif or Kilauea to me, but could be wrong...

Yes, the catalogues on Kona Retro won't help you on this one, that's part of what makes it special.....It has not been repainted!

Hot?

Edit: Just saw the rack mounts so it's not likely to be a Hot... :oops:

Now that I've actually had a proper look at the pictures, the tubing being Prestige Concept makes me think Kilauea... whatever it is, it looks in lovely nick, and I await the paint story with interest.

I initially said Kilauea , I owned one and it was exactly that colour with XT, but it was 2 tone. So.....I'm not sure now.

Well Geoff and Dean's suspicions were correct, it is a Kilauea. As has been observed though it does not match the one in the 1993 catalogue, the spec is identical aside from the levers which are Ritchey Logics and the grips - also Ritchey. Here's a partial side view, I'll post pix of the whole bike tomorrow along with details of how I came to own it.

17-04-08_1802.jpg

All the pictures I shown so far were taken with my cellphone, I'll get my wife to snap some better pictures with her canon 10D, hopefully they will show the great condition this bike is in.

Back