1995 Kilauea - Rusty Rat

love how its something different, instead of gleaming paintwork and sparkling chrome - good old dirt, rust and rat :cool:

I imagine its actually more fun to ride as well knowing that you're not constantly worrying about chipping or scratching the paint but if anything happens it just adds to the look.

I wonder if you had considered a geared hub to make the rear look cleaner..if such a rusty bike could be cleaner

Have you coated it yet? Looks awesome, I wish I had the guts to do it to one of my bikes. Might have to pick up a tatty frame now.

Superb. :cool:

My first viewing of this.. Brilliant, can just imagine the gulf getting treated to a polish and this getting an extra dip in a salt bath for good measure.

Guess you have to be xtra careful not to lean it agains the rest of the fleet in the garage;)

Did you wax it at all in the end?..

The gulf does get slightly special treatment :LOL:

No coating just bare metal, I will leave it as is now, I keep an eye on it but it looks pretty stable ! If something should get beyond or I can see daylight through the downtube then all the parts will make a nice build for another ...

Don't forget , it's just the same as any other Kona but inside out :LOL:

Lol... I bet the gulf does.. Was going to turn my lava inside out to check to see if it is a match.

Gm I can safely say you have two of my favourite builds on here.

It's about time I found a real not to worry run around kona, and saved my lavadome back to its best. In discussions over one but it might be dented to hell.. My 20incher requirements do tend to cut my options.

That and I love the look of the 96 Kilauea in the dirty green/blue..

Best go buy a bigger shed first.

And Swmbo keeps moaning about this wedding thing I need to fund this year..apparently.

Good luck with your rust.

I only commented on this bike earlier and then noticed the Gulf in your signature and like the above post 2 of my fav bikes on here. :cool:

Sun was out so I cleaned the components on the Rat today and fitted a new chainset :cool:

I was given a couple of retro chainset's from a work colleague who had promised me some of his old cast off's , I have never heard of WRA before but they look pretty nice and are very light , perfect for the Rat then :LOL: if anyone has any info info on these cranks I would be interested , hope they are not prone to cracking .......

It's still going sting, did a 45mile cider ride last weekend and must confess that some was spilt on the bike ;). I thnk I need to ride it near the seaside soon ;)

a44188513babd29d3e62c8aba4ed409b_zps9667f19a.jpg

398a5d249c5d2c27e55d9513663d1b0c_zpsf6965378.jpg

da07bc24a32630a3ca63ef3dbf8e0ff6_zps289d5920.jpg

da5faa0c0b8fc78c8a3b4c371d1b9c03_zps382f6c9f.jpg

Back