car issues....

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
i'm not here for a diagnostic, just a question.
Had our little micra for almost 2 years now (2001 automatic, 1.4i). i've not had it serviced (done the oil and filter changes myself so far plus sparks) and some disc and pad replacements.
no other probs other than a sensor which i replaced myself.

since then its developed new issues after breaking the 100K mileage mark. (suspension making noises, engine juddering blah blah blah)

so my question, is there such a thing as dropping the car into a service centre to have the garage look the car over and tell me what problems it may have? like a check up?
i have heard of a 52 point check or something to that effect.
has anyone had one of these carried out on their car?

if yes, is it worth while?
just asking here before i go searching at local garages on my lunch break today....

ask around and find a local that the locals recommend - garages are just not all the same and expect to pay at least £65 + VAT for an hour of procrastinating.

Even from this far, I can tell you exactly what you 3 main problems are

1 - its a Micra
2 - its an auto
3 - its a Micra automatic :shock:

AGGGGHHHHHH

Seriously tho, just be careful with the whole, "diagnostic / assessment" thing, as most garages will see it as a ticket to get the work done, and find major faults that are only minor niggles

Case in point....
Friends Mrs takes car for service. 1 shock is slightly worn, 4 get replaced for 4 times what I can find them for, even on the high street! Spring on wiper arm is a bit week, so the 2 arms, 2 blades AND motor assembly get replaced :roll:

Basically take it somewhere that offers this as a bespoke service, that wont be looking for the work themselves. Many places make as much if not more on parts mark-up than they do on anything else.

In your case, knocking suspension is most likely shock bushes (replaced with new shocks) and a juddering engine could be anything from a blocked fuel filter to worn engine mounts

G

unkleGsif":acr7iyoo said:
Even from this far, I can tell you exactly what you 3 main problems are

1 - its a Micra
2 - its an auto
3 - its a Micra automatic :shock:

AGGGGHHHHHH

Seriously tho, just be careful with the whole, "diagnostic / assessment" thing, as most garages will see it as a ticket to get the work done, and find major faults that are only minor niggles

Case in point....
Friends Mrs takes car for service. 1 shock is slightly worn, 4 get replaced for 4 times what I can find them for, even on the high street! Spring on wiper arm is a bit week, so the 2 arms, 2 blades AND motor assembly get replaced :roll:

Basically take it somewhere that offers this as a bespoke service, that wont be looking for the work themselves. Many places make as much if not more on parts mark-up than they do on anything else.

In your case, knocking suspension is most likely shock bushes (replaced with new shocks) and a juddering engine could be anything from a blocked fuel filter to worn engine mounts

G

aint nowt wrong with having a car that is probably one of the most reliable cars on the road these days! and having an automatic around town has stopped my ankle aching. not sure why people hate autos so much now. driving is a shitty experiecne at best, so why make it more of a hassle by having to wiggle a stick around all the time! :p:p:p:p
despite its niggles, its taken a lot of abuse and not shown an ounce of stroppyness! :p

aaaaaand if, after 110K miles, all i need to do is replace a fuel filter and/or some engine mounts, i'd be a happy man! (and this is coming from someone who despises cars).
i've asked around before and those two solutions have popped up regularly. so i may give them a go first without this diagnostic sh*t.
can grab an OBD2 reader off ebay for half the price of the fault code reading i had done before (which told me nothing new).

despite it being a car, i actually like the micra - never have trouble finding a parking spot and dont mind when it gets dinged :p

not sure i'm keen on paying someone to think up problems for my car....i have a haynes manual and some axle stands, may just get under it this weekend and give it a good seeing to!

further developments...

changed fuel filter, nothing.

spoke to a garage yesterday and the chap suggested taking it for an 'italian tune' basically, putting it in L (low gear) and running it at 2000rpm-ish for a few miles to clear any unburnt fuel from the system.

apparantly doing short journeys means you get a build up of residue left from unburnt fuel (the car is used for short runs most of the time, town driving, shops, the weekly trips to soft play (15min drive) and the odd run to Gatwick and back for the Mrs' job.

i have heard that cars used for short journeys can develop these problems, but will driving it at high revs for a few miles help or hinder...??? (i dont have a rev counter, so he suggested selecting the low gear and driving at 20/30mph as this would probably be in the same range)

anyone else done this?

I took my 05 Nissan 4x4 to the main dealer, for a diagnostic and health check, as it had a couple of problems..

Cost me £40, from memory, and their quite to rectify the problems was circa £3000. But armed with a list of all problems found, I fixed them all for around £200. :shock:

If its close to MOT time, get it in early and they'll list any faults. Then you're armed with the knowledge that way, too.

Just my experiences..

Back