2003 Dave Yates custom 26" tourer

I did the otago rail trail from middlemarch to alexandra, that was a great two days riding!

There are so many campsites in both OZ and NZ that I think I camped wild on maybe 2 or 3 nights total during the whole 6 months I was there! They even have decent toilet paper in all of them - I "borrowed" a roll from the YHA in sydney when I first got there, and returned the same roll when I left 6 months later!

christchurch to greymouth and christchurch to picton a real railways, not converted to trails. I rode from christchurch to picton (and all the way on to Auckland) on the way back.

Foz I came meaning to comment on this.

The bike looks great, very purposeful and I'm glad you have kept hold of it, theres a lot to be said for sentiment.

The adventure sounds great, really very envious that a) I never did anything like that and b) I would never have the guts to anyway!

Excellent stuff I'd love to read a blog about a 6 month cycle tour.

Respect to you sir :cool:

Thanks Tel! I did quite a few tours back in the day when I was young(er) and carefree! I must do something with the blog though - two years since the last entry! :oops:

if enough people bug me about it, I'm sure I could find the time and motivation :) I do need to work out how to put photos in there too!

That is a fantastic bike, I have bike envy. Or I would do if I hadn't just managed to get hold of a 653 DY frame, one that is the right size for me, at last (and my previous one, which was too small) has just met with a nasty rear mech/rear wheel interface which means it needs fixing).

I am trying to decide if I go gears-inna-can or dérailleur. As Alfine/Nexus drop shifters are stupid expensive I think it will be dérailleur. I am going to use it as a light tourer, my Inbred 29er doing the longer/heavier touring load duties.

Back