Educate me....

GT-Steve

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
.... about foks and axles..

Having bought a brand new 456 carbon frame, I need to compliment it with modern stuff, and the first stumbling block is forks.

Most of the 130/140mm travel forks I've been looking at have a 15/20mm through axle/Maxle. What the hell is this exactly, and can it be convered to accept a wheel with a standard QR running through the hub? or do I have look for the righ wheels, out of the box?

Help an idiot for christmas.. :LOL:

I'm sure Fox did do forks up to 140mm with qr dropouts. However if you're wanting new forks then most forks will have bolt through axles. Given the travel though, you'd get the best from them with a stiff thick axle. Bolt through axles have moved on a fair bit since the days of pinch bolts and axles needing a spanner. Rock shox's maxle is great and essentially quick release, just a thicker axle.

As for wheels, you'll have to go bolt through too. This keeps things simple and makes the wheel better in my eyes. A simple set of sealed cartridge bearings rather than cones and loose bearings. There's loads of nice light but strong wheels out there. Hope hubs can be adjusted between axle sizes in seconds.

The rock shox maxle is an oversize QR basically a large threaded tube goes in and screws to the other fork stanchion and the QR goes through the assembly. But obviously the size of the axle (15 or 20mm) will denote what wheel you need.

If you run certain hubs adaptors are available (I know hope do).

Not sure on other manufacturers versions are the same/similar.

Get some Hope hoops as the pro 2 hub will fit any axle with very easy to fit adaptors

Im running Magura Menja AM 130s that are 2011 and qr's great forks. Just as plush as fox and not as tempermental or maintenance intensive.

Oh and welcome to 456ness.

i just replaced the forks on my ST4, went from standard QR to 20mm bolt through, as i run Hope Pro 2 hubs i just bought the adaptors when i got the fork.

if it makes any difference, i bought a rock shox sector fork, 2 position travel, coil, lock out, dampening adjustment, £300 including hub adaptors, the rrp was 429 i think.

:)

I've got the revelations for sale that I used on my carbon 456 , they have a max travel of 150mm, but I found they felt best on the frame at 140mm as any longer and the front end wandered a bit on climbs. They have QR drop outs too.

Latest posts

Back