Impromptu Rides & Chat Thread

Only if someone remembers to stick my rider tag on :LOL:

Btw you wish to send me your number over, ill give you a text if i make it that far :cool:

Right myself and Trebz and hopefully Ben are riding tomorrow am at 10.00, meeting in the 1st car park on Cliff Road, Hessle. The one right next to the river and not our usual meeting point near the visitor centre.
All welcome and its a very easy ride although possibly fairly long depending how we feel.

We are aiming to get to Paull with a snack stop somewhere on route.

Meeting point -
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=hessle ... 82,,0,4.75

Woohoo, cheers Chris, much appreciated :D

Quite gutted im back at work tomorrow but hey ho i spose, ill have my dust off of the bike on sunday, which reminds me, must look for that strava app on the appstore too :cool:

Yeas if you get Strava you can add a few of us on here and compare routes, segments and distances travelled to the pub, kebab shop etc.

Lmao, whats you trying to say, id never ride to the pub or kebab shop, might come out of the pub so drunk id forget my bike (and it might get stolen) and id never ride to the kebab shop either (delivery service, err hello lol)

Nah only kidding, supposed ot now be knocking beer and crap on the head in a final decent attempt to get back in shape, unfortunately the rents have other ideas and were having a full roast this aft and she has stocked up on beer for me too, damnit, tomorrows whitby ride will be a struggle i think!

But ive got the app now, and ive (i think) requested to follow you, so you can shout at me if i dont upload stuff regularly now :cool:

Well, the Hull urban ride proved to be an absolute blast. Not extreme by any means but enjoyable in a different way. We started from Hessle Foreshore and headed east along the side of Clive Sullivan way, stopping briefly in the Humber bank docks area to take a look at the old docklands and associated buildings. It's sad to see them in such a sorry state but at least some of them are now classed as listed buildings. We then moved on to the town centre, taking some great cobbled roads in the old town area. This is a must if anyone ever visits Hull as it's the museum district. Great architecture and quite historical. The route then took us through the dirty and somewhat gritty Wincolmlee area, do not mistake this to be a sad and forgotten part of Hull however as it is again riddled with history and some great little hidden treasures, see the picture of Wilmington Bridge below. We quickly and sadly moved on to the old railway line, which I'm hoping Chris will mention. The original station and platform still stands just off Beverly Road. Great so see and in remarkable condition for it's age. After meandering through the old, I think, Victorian graveyards which begin at the junction of Princess Avenue and Spring Bank the trip took us to a little Deli at the Calvert Lane roundabout. Chris had a sausage sarnie, I had half a pork pie. The next and almost final section saw Chris become quite enthused. He has studied the old railways of Hull to a degree and mentioned a few things I'd not known. One which sticks in the mind is that this section of railway was one of the most expensive ever built in the UK. We eventually reached Willerby square and decided to call it a day, we got our heads down and took the roads back through Kirkella, Jenny Brough Lane and finally down Heads Lane to the Foreshore.

I had the pleasure of introducing Chris to the world of Cycle Speedway. We dropped in on the Hull Cycle Speedway track and found a local lad having a training session, after a quick natter and an impromptu race we felt it right to go back to the cars.

Here's a few Hull Cycle Speedway Video's for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTM7wHQsApg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhIRD5CBTZg

Here's another Hull Urban ride I completed with my pal Nige: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=226133

All in all a very nice ride, steady, nice sights, good banter, food and a bit of a mess about here and there.

A few pictures below, not many as we were too busy talking about good old Hull and getting giddy about how good it is to ride a bike.

GEDC1912.jpg

GEDC1911.jpg

GEDC1904.jpg

GEDC1910.jpg

GEDC1909.jpg

GEDC1908.jpg

GEDC1913.jpg

GEDC1914.jpg

GEDC1917.jpg

GEDC1919.jpg

GEDC1920.jpg

GEDC1922.jpg

GEDC1923.jpg

Nice pics Rich!

Yep a great ride on a very welcome dry and warm day.

The Wilmington Swing Bridge Trebz photographed is on the disused Hull to Hornsea railway line which hopefully will be a ride for later in the year.

good, heart warming account of a day's riding. isambard brunell would love those last two pics if, still with us. all that infrastructure forged hull into what is was, a large port of great importance to the countries well being.

I once was chatting with a guy behind the market place/courts area and he pointed out buildings that got hit by the nazi v2 rockets. these buildings were on the river just above that swing bridge. the conversation came up because i pointed out a sash window that so so badly on the piss,it was nearly a triangle! local man added "it would have been square before the bomb hit it". thereafter the repair work would have been 'make do and mend' hence not perfectly square again. :)

good one guys. :cool:

Looks like you guys had a good one, I was keeping an eye out as I was working sat, but didn't see anyone, I'm now trying my best to walk/move properly after doing ravenscar to Whitby and back yesterday!

Back