I just bought modern.... And it arrived today!!!

Soon as I've sorted some forks for it, I'll know where the build's going...

Gonna keep it all sinister and black, but that's about it at the moment

I've looked at the 456 as a possible replacement for my 'ever so slightly too small' MC Rumble, would be interesting to hear some first hand reports of how it rides...

Long travel hardtails rule, takes a little getting used to after riding a superman style arse up head down stretched out retrobike, but once you get your head round the riding position you'll soon realise you can throw it anything - and enjoy it!

Initial plans, after an overnight ponder, are to run m95* xtr mechs and cranks (as I already have them, and funds for new groupset parts are not forthcoming) with a 2x9 setup, and some magura martas to slow me down a bit.

Got some bargain continental mountain kings the other day, so will run with them unless it gets claggy and then I'll run it on ritchey zmax 1.7's

Stem and bars are sorted from onone themselves and I'm daring to trial a flat bar in the first instance, as I'm not a big fan of riser bars, but this may change with time....

Headset is still up in the air as it will depend on what forks I get (taper or 1.125" straight steerer)

Still looking at fork options, and wheels will be very much dependant on fork (axle) choice.

Estimating a 25-27lb target weight. :D

I like mine. I've had it about 2yrs, it's a fun bike. It's 2nd in line to my ASR5C, but it's a good handling bike, nice and comfy too.
Build is 1x9 with M970, Mono4 brakes, Vanilla 140RLC 15mm, King hubs on Stans Crests. Not sure how heavy, but it's light enough

(bars and stem have changed since photo, now running 70mm stem, wider bars)

Carbon 456 down by the Tyne by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

I would not run 1.7 tyres if claggy... Would be too sketchy. Get some proper mud shifting tyres in modern sizes ie 2.1 minimum

GT-Steve":3aa0qrvn said:
Estimating a 25-27lb target weight. :D

Mine doesn't have particularly lightweight kit and hits the scales at bang on 25lb. That's with a dropper seatpost that comes in at well over a pound.

Back