Steerer too short - BBB extender

As we all know, P2's go for silly prices on eBay; especially the triple-butted version...

...unless you get one with a very short threaded steerer ;)

I have been using one P2 since '06 that has such a ridiculously short threaded steerer that the extender is actually the longer. Quill stems don't suddenly pull out of threaded steerers in use, this is not different...

...and I've never used the BBB top cap either, always a matching one for the build.

LogicAl Wrote:

velomaniac wrote:
Hold on, this is Retrobike, the system is effectively a threaded headset idea which we all should be familiar with and there's nowt wrong with checking and retightening your headset, thats just good maintenance.I have a couple of bikes with the BBB extender, I think its a great system. If you want a system as good as the original then get some forks with a long enough steerer

Easier said than done if you ride gates like my huge M-Trax

Never met me have you, minimum size of my bikes is 21" most are about 23" and once I had a 25 incher. As I say I have several bikes with the system and they get used at Glentress, not famous for its soft terrain and I dont find problems.

Paul has had some experience and you have no reason to disbelieve him. I have some experience but you do disbelieve me, a fellow could find that hurtful................merry christmas ;)

Nah, dont disbelieve you velo, I just worded wrong.
I couldnt comment on clamping fully to the BBB, as you say its fine, its designed to and is well made. The instructions did say to grease the BBB and wedge, i wondered at the time if that could cause slipping.

I do like the BBB, it sorted me out. Just a longer stem cap bolt wouldve made it a quicker fit, or a proper one, i just couldnt get it to work with the bolt supplied.

Back