1989 Doug Bradbury Manitou - 1st update complete

well I think sometimes some people react very emotional on the basis of a history or memories.

True.
Why I like it is that Bradbury came up with new ideas - like using a different hub width so the wheels didn't need the same "dish" and could be built stronger. I also liked the manitou fork designs (for the time), the unsual choice of tubing and bespoke frame features.
I guess it also has rarity appeal - it was something I could only read about at the time and would have been highly unusual to see, let alone own.

Is it any more or less innovative than any other design? I don't know, but it stood out to me back in the day and will always hold appeal to me both for the design and for its place in mountain biking history. Would I rather ride it than my modern hard tail? Possibly not, but as I've never ridden a Bradbury Manitou I guess I will never know and will always be intrigued.

mkozaczek":2ghxn5bi said:
We_are_Stevo":2ghxn5bi said:
...and whilst I think the full suss. Manitou/Marin models are things of beauty that can never be equalled let alone bettered, this one does nothing for me except as an historical reference point.

Really??? I think those early Mani FS bikes are/were cool, but in reality they were an inferior mechanical design that were further hindered by the material selection. So, pretty and shiny sure, but "unequalled"? nah

I did actually mean to look at...

...let's face it, no-one buys a f'ugly bike just because of its mechanical superiority ;)

Nor do I want to take anything away from your 'find...'

...I'm just at a loss why so many people adopt a 'Kings new clothes' point of view towards one bike and not another when there really isn't an awful lot of difference between them?

Hence my assertion that (for example) as a museum exhibit, in context, I'd love to see it; but it's not something I would want for myself because it just doesn't appeal to me in that sense.

i have the mbuk review of this bike on its first appearance in the uk martin.....happy to forward it if you are interested......the reviewer bought the bike he tested, just to give you a clue as to how he found it when he rode it!.... :D

The Manitou was ahead of its time in various ways and also looks like a mountain bike. The Cleland, for all its admirable qualities, is something of an evolutionary offshoot that led only to itself. And doesn't look much like a mountain bike. Also the Manitou was a super-rare exotic when it was new, rather than a somewhat quirky niche machine.

I'm not passing any comment on the relative merits of the bikes here, but the question was about popularity and I don't think it's hard to see the answer.

feetabix":1q7remmv said:
i have the mbuk review of this bike on its first appearance in the uk martin.....happy to forward it if you are interested......the reviewer bought the bike he tested, just to give you a clue as to how he found it when he rode it!.... :D

That would be really cool. I'm thinking I may eventually start a site dedicated to the DB Manis as there isn't anything out there right now. It would be cool to have that sort of stuff.

mkozaczek":dji8pmeq said:
feetabix":dji8pmeq said:

That would be really cool. I'm thinking I may eventually start a site dedicated to the DB Manis as there isn't anything out there right now. It would be cool to have that sort of stuff.

send me a pm so i dont forget in the morning......its nice and sunny with you, but im about to turn into a pumpkin!

I'd be pretty interested in that MBUK review, I have a Mountain Biker one somewhere of this too, think I scanned it once before for retrobike, see if I can dig out a link :)

Yep, in the scan section, search for Manitou Review, Mountain Biker May 1991 :)

mkozaczek":3o973tmv said:
Thank you for all the great comments guys, I really appreciate it.

Here a couple quick pics with the rigid fork installed. Took these before I put the XT headset back in. Still need to hook up the brakes, but I'll be putting all new cables and all that so I didn't rush it.

DSC_0800-vi.jpg
Happy to see that you doesn't need the suspension fork :D
(If you got the idea to sale it, think to me :LOL: … )

Back