1995 Coyote Ultralite -> updated (page 4)

F9501 tells us it was built in the Fairly factory in January 1995. I believe the factory is owned by Giant. It makes frames and bikes for many other brands, including Kona. A 1995 Kona Kula could have had that serial number, but a 1995 Kula frame cost £699 to buy, whereas the Coyote cost £399 and the Coyote had a better tubeset. That is about as early as you get with Easton Elite. Most companies didn't get to use it until their 96 model ranges later in the year, but I think Coyote had quite a good relationship with Easton. You can always rely on it that an Easton Elite frame is well built, because Easton were choosy about who they sold it to, so all Elite frames were made in Easton-approved factories and of course the warranty-holder was ultimately Easton.

I don't know what ALFTON signifies.

Wow! Thank you very very much. Impressive!
How on earth do you have all this information?

Any comments on whether this is a HT1 or 2 frame?

I don't know when they started using the HT1 name, so your frame could pre-date the HT1 or maybe it is an HT1, I don't know. I think the HT2 came out in 1998.

Ok. Thank you for that info too! Been going through the few other Coyote threads here. It seems to me that you are the leading Coyote expert on RetroBike! :D

Glad it arrived safely!

Was under the impression that it was older as it had the canti guides.

A big thank you to Spencer to as we did some drunken swaps for this last year and is about to get some more...

Konsta":2jqky6ps said:
Ok. Thank you for that info too! Been going through the few other Coyote threads here. It seems to me that you are the leading Coyote expert on RetroBike! :D
No, not at all, I don't know much about them - I've never even ridden one. I do think though that too many people are taken in by big names, whereas really, for the reasons I gave above, it's the tubeset that counts and Easton Elite was the best 7005 tubeset at that time. There is really no difference in quality whatsoever between your frame and big brand Elite frames.

I do have an Easton Elite frame though - a 1998 Orange E4, and it's worth mentioning that whatever truth there may be in aluminium frames being uncomfortable to ride, it doesn't apply to the E4 one iota. If the Coyote is for your gf, I feel sure she'll find it suitable. I have a feeling that later Coyotes, certainly the HT2 and possibly the HT1, had square section chainstays, which may well make them stiffer for hard nuts, but perhaps a bit too rough riding for a lady! I see yours has round chainstays, so hopefully it'll ride like the E4 - smooth, solid and stable.

Well, Coyote expert or not, you still have provided the most comprehensive information on the subject so far. I really appreciate it.

We took the frame and forks out to get them used to their new environment.
2d9z5sl.jpg

Got the BB in. Of course I had to try how it would look with all the parts!
t5sv41.jpg

Mind you those are not the final tyres (SuperMotos look very nice though).

Ok. It's -10°C outside, the sea is frozen and the sun is shining. Perfect time for a first test ride round the harbour!

Sorry for those unsightly pedals. But they have such a good grip. Surly Singleator keeps the chain tensioned.
j5d107.jpg

On hard snow like this you could get away with regular offroad tyres. But there are plenty of places
where you need to ride over plain ice so spiked tyres are a necessity.
369f5.jpg

It rides very nice indeed! We were a little worried that the frame might be too long, but this turned out
not to be the case. The short stem helps too.
1i02g4.jpg

That's it for now. Thank you LGF!

Latest posts

Back