Surly Moonlander

Bit short on pics the now. Got it stripped down ready to treat the frame and rebuild tomorrow. Hope to hit the beach on Sunday. :mrgreen:

IMGP0399crop.jpg

IMGP0420crop.jpg

saltyman":3ezrblfl said:
good man, check the BB bearings and whack that squirt lube on and enjoy matey :cool:

Yup, re-packed the BB, de-greased the chain and lubed up with squirt and built. :D

IMG_0360.jpg

And today I got to ride it at last. :mrgreen:

Cheers for the inspiration Salty. :cool:

If anyone is interested in seeing more click on the beach picture. ;)

Excellent, you will be amazed at where these take you and how they cope with terrain you wouldn't usually dream of riding.

Is it just the 2012 that have the dry bb issue and the xt rear hubs problem?

I ask because today I'm popping over to my local dealer who has had a moonie as a demo for a while and I'm hoping to make a cheeky bid, if not there is a salsa dealer not far either :D

The xt rear hub is down to personal preference, some folk love them and have no issues, but I wanted a bombproof sea proof hub, hence upgraded to hope.

It came loose twice before I upgraded but the bearings and internals were always spot on, just I wanted sometime better sealed......I don't service my bikes if I can help it.

As for for the dry BB, it did seem like the early batches didn't have much grease inside, though again rather than service, I upgraded.

I know folk still on there originals and no issues however its best to check.

To help answer your question Sylus, my BB wasn't 'dry'. It had the standard amount of bearing grease in it.
My personal feelings on this issue is most bearings are generic, and are built to cope with high speed loadings, where too much grease can cause problems. When you are going to use that bearing in a harsher climactic environment and lower speed application than normal it doesn't hurt to pack it with grease. As long as you can pop the seals out and back in without damage then there is nowt to lose apart from 5 minutes of your time. ;)

Thanks chaps, my local salsa dealer has plenty of beargrease and muks in but none in manly size so the demo moonie is one I will be visiting today, I'll ask them if they checked things out

Beargrease looks nice but easier to spend the £1,000 you'd save and make a normal mukluk lighter.

Still love my moony...been on a rainy 15 mile loop tonight

3926949A-7C52-434F-B7A8-F00912B3ABF1-1945-0000005E44218317.jpg

Back