Recommend an RC car to start out with

My_Teenage_Self":zag8ig2r said:
brocklanders023":zag8ig2r said:
TBH if you're looking at a modern stadium truck I'd go nitro if you can afford it.

You haven't tried LIPO & brushless have you? :LOL:

Nope, been a while since I played with an electric buggy. My last was an RC10 b3.

Probably best to find out if there are any tracks/clubs near you.
not only can you go there to see what its all about, you will be able to ask advice & actually see what the cars are capable of :cool:
also a local club will give you the option of competing with your car as just playing up the park on your own gets very old very quickly.....
don't be tempted for a cheap chinese car off ebay as you will break it & you will need spares. you can't get parts for the ebay specials.
go for a brand that is stocked by a local shop, they might also be a good source of advice/help when needed.
if you do have any local tracks/clubs make sure you buy a kit from a class that they support, once again no point having something you can't use locally!
if you go electric then yes lipo & brushless is the only sensible way to go, just make sure you buy a good balancing charger & your cells will last ages.
also read up on the Lipo cells charging & storage needs as they burn ferociously if mishandled!
the new Nitro engines are a LOT more reliable than the old ones & shouldn't give you much trouble.
somthing to consider is nitro engines are loud & will attract a lot of attention from the local chavs/constabulary. Chavs will ask how fast it goes before they try to steal it & the police will just tell you to stop.

the truck looking classes are very popular in the US but haven't really caught on over here & are not very well supported or even run at a lot of clubs! just do your homework & you should be fine ;)

ive got loads of hpi electric trucks and cars used to race back in the day lol

spent way to much on carbon / purple alloy bits tbh

but if ur startin out get a electric car fuel cars are hassle tbh quick yes but lipo is jus as fun and quick

The main thing is decide on a budget, then where you want to use it, then what do you want to do with it?

Once you have decided then drop me an email

support@wheelspinmodels.co.uk

I am the assistant manager there and will be able to go through the best options with you. If you want brushless etc I would look at Hpi and Traxxas, if it was my money I would go for HPI as they come with a 2 year warranty which is more than any other company out there.

I'll try me best for you, stay away from brands like acme, ansmann, kyosho, random makes you have never heard of, tamiya is ok but not ace for bashing.

Cheers

Ant

Hello Ant. Have Tamiya released any more retro buggy reissues in the last couple of years? Think the Avanti was the last I heard about.

Cheers mate. It is strange as some of the reissues still available have been about for years (Hornet, Hotshot etc) but others (Avanti, Thundershot etc) came and went in no time.

Fancied an Avanti but not for the amount they were going for. Could be tempted if they do the Egress though as I still regret selling my new built one the other year. :(

Back