Knobblies in the Snow?

Any knobbly tyres with a fairly aggressive tread will work as well as any other on snow. Dropping air pressure can help a bit too. Slicks and semi slicks are a bit scary though. As has been said. The tread breaks through the surface to bite in.
Snow can offer a surprising amount of traction.

Fat bikes are also great in snow.

On ice or hard-packed snow there is nothing that can compare to studded ice/snow tyres.

I have a pair of Nokian Gazza Extreme 394 tires for when it gets really icy.
You really appreciate how much grip they give you when you stop and try to walk on the sheet of ice you've just been riding on.

They are heavy and noisy on tarmac though.

In snow, I've found that Panaracer Trailrakers were jolly fine, and for a more retro vibe - a set of Panaracer Spikes. Once it gets icy - cup of tea[*] and a bit of man cave bike fettling seems the sensible approach.

[*] or other hot beverage, preferably with cake or similar.

and as I realized this morning while I was using my face and ribs to slow me down on hard packed ice, kona scratch tyres don't "dig in" :?

the ribs did most of the braking and now it hurts to breath and the face is ok, its not like i'm a looker anyway :D

Make sure the knobblies have a soft compound. Some chums and me went up to gisburn in the snow + ice the other year. I had soft compound Kenda Nevegals and my friend had some harder Kenda's. I had a little grip although not that much where as he could not turn a wheel. The difference was mind bending.

brocklanders023":3i29phrm said:
Make sure the knobblies have a soft compound. Some chums and me went up to gisburn in the snow + ice the other year. I had soft compound Kenda Nevegals and my friend had some harder Kenda's. I had a little grip although not that much where as he could not turn a wheel. The difference was mind bending.

onza porcs have impressed me in snow and slush, i now keep them as my snow tyres :cool: :cool:

Back