Forgive me Claud

redhat

Dirt Disciple
forgive me if im stupid but was "Claud Butler" a someone?and was there a bloke called "scott"? what does GT stand for?

I was led to believe that there was originally a Claud Butler, dont know about Scott, but GT was Gary Turner, the original frame builder iirc!

'In 1958, engineer and skier Ed Scott from Sun Valley, Idaho invented a ski pole made of aluminium, which compared favorably to those made of bamboo or steel. On the basis of this success, the company started to produce many kinds of sports goods.'

From wikipedia.

drystonepaul":1e5nuy63 said:
Good grief.
Next someone will be claiming that Giant was started by a very tall man.

Or that Diamondback was a working name for a Bond Villain :LOL:

drystonepaul":386264lz said:
Good grief.
Next someone will be claiming that Giant was started by a very tall man.

Considering Giant's Taiwanese origins I would agree that it was unlikely :LOL:

But isn't Raleigh so called because it was originally Sir Walter Raleigh who first brought the bicycle to Britain from the "New World"??

:LOL:

jimo746":2quwg6lf said:
But isn't Raleigh so called because it was originally Sir Walter Raleigh who first brought the bicycle to Britain from the "New World"??
:LOL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raleigh_Bicycle_Company

Raleigh's history started in 1887, in Raleigh Street, Nottingham. Frank Bowden, a prosperous 38-year-old, bought a bicycle made by Messrs. Woodhead, Angois and Ellis, because his doctor had told him to ride a bicycle for his health. Bowden was impressed by his bicycle and went to Raleigh Street to find the makers. Woodhead, Angois and Ellis were making three bikes a week. Bowden made them an offer and bought the business. Production rose and three years later he needed a bigger workshop, which he found in a four-story building in Russell Street. He changed the company's name to Raleigh Cycles to commemorate the original address.

You can just smell the British'ness, can't you? :D.

Back