dsc_1378_102.jpg

and now I definietly have!

i-3nGkvH3-M.jpg

legrandefromage":1kvpfkox said:
I think I've just.. oops...

dsc_1378_102.jpg

and now I definietly have!

i-3nGkvH3-M.jpg

That fisher is a beaut. Great colour. Bet it's great on the road.

Mine's more for off road bike camping. I've got another - same retro deal, but with 700c wheels. I took it down the Bodensee Koenigsee cycleway in Germany, and much as it's a great ride, it struggled with some of the forest tracks. The Saracen, however, handles such things with great aplomb. Bar end shifters were a pain to get to fit the bars. It needed a bit of jiggery pokery, but I find them so handy (pardon the pun).

Thanks for the link jaypee, I have a very similar bike - a Muddy Fox Explorer which would be perfect for loaded touring on the road or gentle paths... however my routes are very much off-road (rocky singletrack and 4wd trails) so I've bought a more modern MTB with a suspension fork and clearance for wider tyres than retro stuff - going for more of a bikepacking build than traditional rack & panniers.

Like so:
bikepacking1.jpeg

That's a killer bike. I always fancied trying the lightweight, bikepacking thing, but failed at the kitchen sink.

I wish I had your resolve.

Yeah people usually carry their tent and pad in a compression bag strapped to the bars.

bhumidravi":3c0qfvjx said:
Great photos, what bike did you do your central asia trip on?

I was seriously tempted by this world-travelling Rohloff beauty, which at a 1000 euros is a bargain despite being more than triple what I'd originally budgeted for the full conversion. I thought I'd sleep on it one night, but by the next morning it was reserved. :cry:

But most Rohloff trekking bikes don't appeal to me, so I'll stick with the plan & try to do this on the cheap.

Finding a quality 1980s frame is proving difficult: everything that's been available on marktplaats the past 2 months has been rather tatty mid-range stuff. Luckily I'm much shorter than AshtanoJoe - my seatpost is only about 12cm out - so it won't take much to get the handlebar level with the saddle on an average early 90s mtb geometry. Just a riser stem and handlebar should do.

AshtanoJoe's 1991 Terra Runner conversion is almost exactly what I had in mind. Did you use the stock wheels? How much weight were you carrying? Were you happy about replacing the DX components with modern stuff? Did you regret not having fenders/lights?

I'm only planning on leaving in March, so there's still time for the right bike/parts to come along.

There is a ValleyRunner on our largest classified site. Same oversize frame as the 1991 TerraRunner. Braze ons for everything. Seller says it has to go so can be had for a tenner only.

Ah sorry if I misled anyone - that's not my bike in the picture, just an example of what I'm aiming for! I already own a huge saddlepack - the other bags are quite simple so i'm going to have a go at making them myself.

Elev12k":12i6vnkz said:
There is a ValleyRunner on our largest classified site. Same oversize frame as the 1991 TerraRunner. Braze ons for everything. Seller says it has to go so can be had for a tenner only.

I've tried Gumtree, Friday ad and ebay (apols for mentioning names!) as well as 'mtb for sale' on here and I can't see it, have I misunderstood? :?:

Back