''War on Britains Roads''

Personally, I wouldn't ride on a duel carriageway if there is any other alternative. That said, I have, and it's bloody terrifying. Bad enough when the dickheads don't pull into the outer lane to pass you, but it's the ones that try to clip your bars on the way past

car drivers don't pay road tax, infact no one has paid road tax since they abolished it in 1938. that little round thing in the windscreen is a tax people pay for being able to operate a motor vehicle on a public road, that's why its called vehicle excise duty and based on the emissions the vehicle puts out not how much space it takes up on the road.

try putting that across to a red faced ignoramus and you'll just get a diatribe in return.

when i'm on my bike, i hate 99.9999999% of anyone else around me (the point 0.0000001 of like is reserved for leggy blondes on dutch bikes). its nothing personal, just the attitude i adopt that keeps me from sliding under any vehicle or crashing into another cyclist/pedestrian.
its only going to get worse as all i'm seeing these days are more learner drivers, and all the rest are getting older and more inept behind the wheel.

this program will do nothing for me except make me more prepared to encounter more c**ts.

the problem will never be 'solved' because the population isn't getting any smaller.

i will only ever truly be happy cycling in this world when i'm cycling with who i want to have around me and no one else within a good 50-60miles in all directions (except for the random leggy blonde on a dutch bikes).

i also drive a car and adopt a similar attitude when doing so. driving brings out the worst in most people.

Iwasgoodonce":2wybqdmc said:
I was going to reply to those comments but am just at a loss for words.

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

EDIT:

I really, REALLY hope that post is a wind up.

d00m":11j00bh7 said:
It's not the legal aspect that concerns me, it's the consideration for other, busier people :D why go out on busy roads to talk bollocks? If you're able to natter, you're not putting the effort in, and if you want a chat, don't have it riding down a busy dual carriageway :) telling your mate you bought a new moisturising shaver for those roadie legs, or going on about some new lubricating groin cream made from goat snot and the tears of Armenian Widows is probably best saved for down the pub after a proper session of hill climbing and intervals, on quiet roads, single file ;)

Maybe they are going somewhere!!! Do talk to the passengers in your car? I often ride two abreast on my commute when I have something to say to the person I'm cycling with. I don't see the problem. As I said before traffic lights, junctions, speed limits etc. all hold you up more than the ocasional cyclist.

34 million vehicles and 13 million bikes on UK roads. So if all those cyclists got in cars, so as not to hold up traffic, that would increase the number of vehicles on our roads by 40%. If the same happened world wide I wonder what would happen to fuel prices???

Us=ME and my own sense of self righteousness.

Them=Everyone else. Who by default must have got it wrong.

It really is THAT simple folks.

We all screw up sometimes. The good guys are the ones who can admit it. The bad guys are the ones who will find someone else to blame, regardless.

d00m":3v4gec5q said:
Cyclists on the road can be a pain in the arse. My particular pet hate is the ones who ride side by side, sometimes 3 abreast having a chat, not much you can do in a car except given them a warning beep [...] if you want a chat, don't have it riding down a busy dual carriageway
Pass them safely in the passing lane and get on with your life? Not so very hard, is it?

Ever used a dual carriageway in a city? There's two lanes, because there are 2 lanes worth of traffic :)

People are getting very worked up, probably the same people who cycle on the road, parallel with the cycle path...

d00m":21gdhf9j said:
Ever used a dual carriageway in a city?
I've lived in cities most of my life, but I've never seen cyclists riding three abreast on a busy urban dual carriageway. If I ever did, I think I would just overtake them in the passing lane and get on with my life.

People are getting very worked up, probably the same people who cycle on the road, parallel with the cycle path...
I'm not worked up at all ... just vaguely disappointed. I do often ride on the road parallel to a cycle path though. Do you find that irksome as well?

Latest posts

Back