''War on Britains Roads''

legrandefromage":8ffrnmzf said:
There are perhaps as many bad cyclists as drivers - I dont think this will bring a balance. More likely inflame more tension.

When I am a pedestrian, its a war with cyclists and drivers (to a lesser extent!). Many a time I'll deliberately step out in front of a cyclist when they've run a red light on a crossing.

From the promo, this whole program looks rather alarming!

I completely agree. From the trailer, this looks like a classic fire-stoking excercise by the media.
I hope I'm proved wrong, but I'm not expecting any middle ground on this

I don't want to tempt fate but, I don't recognise any of this. When I drive (and I do around 30 k a year) I give cyclists as much room as I can. I probably rode well over a thousand mile this year and didn't have one near miss with a car. When I punctured miles from home an old chap stopped his car and asked me if I needed a lift home.

Can't we just all get along?

Iwasgoodonce":16y7k9hj said:
I don't want to tempt fate but, I don't recognise any of this. When I drive (and I do around 30 k a year) I give cyclists as much room as I can. I probably rode well over a thousand mile this year and didn't have one near miss with a car. When I punctured miles from home an old chap stopped his car and asked me if I needed a lift home.

Can't we just all get along?

And when you woke up?

:p

see to me i think this is necessary, this programme wiggins getting knocked over , countless cyclists dying, that we are at a point where something has to give.

The roads are so so dangerous, on any morning cycling to work on the road, some short distance 3 or 4 miles, i will have had 2-3 near misses, at least one occassion where i will have to take action while im riding legally and correctly to stop myself being killed or seriously injured.

regardless of who is right or wrong in any incident , the cyclist is simply going to come of worse.

It is the attitude of drivers gets me, the complete disregard for my life, the daily game of chicken at islands and junctions , that they seem to have no problem stopping if the risk damage to their car from another car, but that they feel they do not or should not giveway or show consideration to cyclists.

again the law is shit, if i was nearly killed had to take emrgency action to avoid a collission when the driver is at fault, then i went and kicked the side of the car , it would be me that would be done by the police for criminal damage, the driver would not be charged with endangering life even with conclusive headcam footage.

GRRRRRRR look you have got me started now.

drivers and cyclists dont mix we need to invest in totally seperate cycle paths, but then again people seem to think the cycle paths in birmingham are take my dog for a shit paths

Charlieboy28":2s1fu3jh said:
see to me i think this is necessary, this programme wiggins getting knocked over , countless cyclists dying, that we are at a point where something has to give.

The roads are so so dangerous, on any morning cycling to work on the road, some short distance 3 or 4 miles, i will have had 2-3 near misses, at least one occassion where i will have to take action while im riding legally and correctly to stop myself being killed or seriously injured.

regardless of who is right or wrong in any incident , the cyclist is simply going to come of worse.

It is the attitude of drivers gets me, the complete disregard for my life, the daily game of chicken at islands and junctions , that they seem to have no problem stopping if the risk damage to their car from another car, but that they feel they do not or should not giveway or show consideration to cyclists.

again the law is shit, if i was nearly killed had to take emrgency action to avoid a collission when the driver is at fault, then i went and kicked the side of the car , it would be me that would be done by the police for criminal damage, the driver would not be charged with endangering life even with conclusive headcam footage.

GRRRRRRR look you have got me started now.

drivers and cyclists dont mix we need to invest in totally seperate cycle paths, but then again people seem to think the cycle paths in birmingham are take my dog for a shit paths

Hear me out; I say the problem started in the 1980's with the 'Everything revolves around me' mentality. Today We're bombarded everyday with advertising slogans such as 'because you're worth it' thus pandering to the id.

Drivers ( because they're worth it) want to everywhere as quick as possible and their id (which is being constantly massaged) is suitably enraged by anyone preventing them from doing this. This is human nature and an overwhelming sense of entitlement after all they pay their taxes.

So I say we need less telly shows with 'war' in the title and more constructive driver/cyclist education. I say bring back public information films and show them in between programmes or have a story in a soap opera explaining the importance of sharing the roads. Get a petition and send it in to BBC or ITV.

Interesting article on the BikeBiz website about this: --> http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/bbc-he ... ber/013940

I suspect that it will be the usual sensationalised, antagonistic and unbalanced potrayal.
I'm also guessing that the majority of the participants will have been selected as the worst examples of each stereotype. ie, ignorant ranting van drivers, and irate aggressive urban bike warriors.

Charlieboy28":3s6csikj said:
people seem to think the cycle paths in birmingham are take my dog for a shit paths

They're also a good place to keep all your broken beer bottles!!!

Retro Cat":od4ne3zq said:
Drivers ( because they're worth it) want to everywhere as quick as possible and their id (which is being constantly massaged) is suitably enraged by anyone preventing them from doing this. This is human nature and an overwhelming sense of entitlement after all they pay their taxes.

People don't really think about it properly though. If a car has to slow down from say 40mph and follow a bike at 15mph for say 30 seconds they get pissed off because it's cost them time. But when they stop at the next set of lights for 3 minutes that's okay. The lights wouldnt be there if it weren't for other motorised vehicles, nor would we have speed limits. So cars hold each other up alot more than bikes hold them up. My car can do 140 so it should take me 7 minutes to get to work, but it doesn't, it takes 30. ;)

JamesM":1evuvj8c said:
Retro Cat":1evuvj8c said:

People don't really think about it properly though. If a car has to slow down from say 40mph and follow a bike at 15mph for say 30 seconds they get pissed off because it's cost them time. But when they stop at the next set of lights for 3 minutes that's okay. The lights wouldnt be there if it weren't for other motorised vehicles, nor would we have speed limits. So cars hold each other up alot more than bikes hold them up. My car can do 140 so it should take me 7 minutes to get to work, but it doesn't, it takes 30. ;)

Absolutely - driver education is the best way forward. Not a sensationalist programme with 'war' in the title. I think James Brown has some useful insights on war.

Retro Cat":2qi4460l said:
JamesM":2qi4460l said:
Retro Cat":2qi4460l said:

Absolutely - driver education is the best way forward. Not a sensationalist programme with 'war' in the title. I think James Brown has some useful insights on war.

Whats it good for?

Back