The unknown frame returns - from the powdercoaters.

lovely job :) £40 is a good price and similar to a place i used in the past for a BMX frame.
are you able to also get a touch up kit with these paint jobs? might be a good idea to ask for one when you get these jobs done (just a pot of the same paint used to coat the frame/forks) or is that a different process to make that sort of thing?

No paint is used - the frame is given an electric charge and the powder is blown onto it, sticking to the frame magnetically. The frame is then baked to melt the powder onto the frame making it stick. There's a lot of skill involved in getting a top class finish. A lot of people do it who only do industrial stuff so the finish can be patchy, riddled with an orange peel, and look dull and naff if done poorly. It's worth seeking out a place who get good results for custom car makers or motorbike folk as they understand the need to get a great finish.

ahhhhh, yeah, didnt think about that :oops: its called powder coating for a reason....:oops:

i suppose you could ask for one if going for a wet paint job??

Xerxes - are you going for some decals at all? or sticking with that 'minimal' look? :p

xerxes":33pep0y3 said:
Some more pictures of the bike back together:
very good job and the whole thing just for £40! :shock:
It looks alot like grello fade ...I think some stickers on the frame would not be bad.

Well done mate ;)

Cheers Rob, I see a lot of bikes here that are built up to absolute perfection and it doesn't compare to them, I don't have the patience for that, but I'm really pleased with how it's turned out, in addition it will be ridden. :D

I think some stickers on the frame would not be bad.

I was wondering about that, but I'm not really sure what to put on it. I did consider having the swatch logo on the down tube, similar to where it was originally, but perhaps reversed with the green of the frame showing through where the white text of "swatch" is:

swatch_logo1.png

Or perhaps just black on green:

Swatch%20Logo.png

Looking very classy... I wouldn't put Swatch decals on it. How about your name or your retro bike user name instead....?

Rob Atkin":1z6u5rik said:
No paint is used - the frame is given an electric charge and the powder is blown onto it, sticking to the frame magnetically.
The pedant in feels that I should point out that the powder actually sticks to the frame electrostatically.
The powder is usually polyester so it's not magnetic.

Anyway now I've got that out of my system I should say that the bike looks great.
I was tempted by that frame when I saw it at the Surrey Hills ride, but I got distracted by a Saracen e-stay frame instead.

I remember that it was very light and the ribbed down tube and tidy welds suggested that it was of good quality.
I can't remember whether it had Ritchey drop-outs or not...?

The down-tube is Tange Ultimate Ultrastrong Prestige tubing, which is very good quality stuff. I imagine the rest of the frame could well be Tange Ulitimate too.
Bit of info here:--> http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/tange/tange.htm

So for decals I'd look at least to getting hold of one of these to replace the original one:
ultimatedecal.jpg

It looks great built up, and I really like the colour. Bit of a mismatch of components with a 1989 Deore rear mech, a 1997 XT front mech and 2012 Deore V brakes amongst others.
Can't fault it in terms of a functional build though.

Personally I reckon that it would look great with a full black 1994/95 LX groupset.

Bit of info here:--> http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/tange/tange.htm

So for decals I'd look at least to getting hold of one of these to replace the original one:

Thanks for the link, I can't see the image though, was it a Tange Decal?

This is what was on the frame originally:

tuup_logo_162.jpg

Where can I get one?

I can't make my mind up about other Decals, probably why I don't have any tattoos, so I may not bother. :D

Bit of a mismatch of components with a 1989 Deore rear mech, a 1997 XT front mech and 2012 Deore V brakes amongst others.

Total mismatch, the chainset, wheels and rear mech are from a 1990 Marin, the other parts are bits and bobs I've picked up at various times. I was thinking that I could get a new set of wheels, chainset, front and rear mech, possibly all in black. Then get my 1990 Pine Mountain frame sorted out, it's in a very sorry state, possibly in original colours and putting the Pine Mountain back together with all its original parts, all of which I still have either on this bike, or in boxes.

Back