Burrington Combe / Mendips Meet

NeilM":25srcjso said:
I drove down the road on Wednesday afternoon and it was like driving down a river bed. Wednesday morning Cheddar Gorge was closed, as it was a river.

The river Yeo at Congresbury is really high, higher than the underside of the bridge where the A370 crosses. The green is flooded and people were canoeing on it. I bet Wrington has bad flooding too. I'll give you a fiver if you cycle your best bike down Iwood lane, all the way mind!!! :LOL:

I tried to get home through Congresbury on Wednesday, but the road was closed, so I then tried the causeway between Sandford and Puxton, but that too had a lake in the middle. I eventually made it home through Banwell.

I'd take you up on that bet, but I really hate emptying water out of frames :shock:

NeilM":q0o8sz40 said:
I'd take you up on that bet, but I really hate emptying water out of frames :shock:

I cycled down Iwood lane back when there was flooding in May or June (or sometime around then); the water came up to the canti mounts on my forks. The puddle was hundreds of meters long too and I was riding against flowing water. The Yeo that day was about 4 foot lower than it is at the moment.

FYI I was riding a hamerite painted plain gauge cromo '92 timberline with cheap parts and full length guards!!!

Anyone been on the Mendips since it stopped (shhhhh quiet) raining?

I have some time off work starting Monday, and thought I might take the Bigfoot for a shakedown run next week.

In other words, with a rucksack full of tools and prepared for a long walk back :roll:

Yes, I've seen the weather for tomorrow, I had to take advantage of the brief cold / dry spell earlier this week to put my horse trailer away, as it's been stuck on my drive for months and the fields more suited to growing rice than grass.

It looks like it will be dry again after tomorrow, but I may just have to stick to the more solid fire roads. I want to try the Bigfoot and also recce some suitable terrain for my son to ride his newly acquired cx bike, as there is next to nowhere in W-s-M.

Good to know there will be another Bigfoot in the area. My wife has one as well, so they seem to be gravitating back to the Westcountry! :)

Wow! That's good to know.

I met Graham Foot a few months ago, and he said they produced 200 e-stay frames. Between us we could identify only around 15. I thought it was a bit sad that the rest have disappeared.

I've not really made the time to ride mine since finishing it, as I've been spending most of my time road riding, but with this bit of holiday I thought it would be the ideal time to give it a try out, just to see what shakes loose / falls off.

They are well put together so I'm surprised more didn't survive.

I must admit my wife's is rarely ridden off road, mainly to the pub in the summer; she just loves it because the last owner powder coated it baby blue! :) it does mean that it is preserved for posterity though...

Mine was powder coated white by a previous owner, then the last owner had the powder removed by acid dipping, so I had it re-coated bright red. Not very original I'll accept, but it is noticeable :cool:

I'm sure there are quite a few knocking around in sheds and at the back of garages, they turn up on the bay from time to time and Nevadasmith is selling an absolute corker at present, but I'm sure the scrap man has had a few over the years.

As you predicted, it is pretty miserable today, let's hope the rain passes without depositing too much on us.

Back