FAT BIKE SUS FORKS

retroman

Retro Guru
hello, does anyone know if there are any sus forks around that will allow a fat tyre , sure i saw some where marsacchi shivers will fit. anything.

cheers drew

Must be talking greater than 3" as most modern forks can easily handle that width. I presume we're talking fat bikes like Surly Pugsley's with 3.7" or greater width. There is a firm that builds fat bikes with sus forks I think they're called Sandman ;)

Maverick SC32 or DUC32 forks work a treat

Been running a set on the front of the Pugsley for a couple of years now with no issues

Even enough clearance for a Nate tyre

gil_m":2bptpgke said:

Been running a set on the front of the Pugsley for a couple of years now with no issues

I quite fancy a set of SC32's, heard they can be unreliable which has put me off.Do you have to run their specific hub ?

You can also use an old lefty with custom clamps. The clamps are somewhere in the us. German A makes a suitable fork as well.

theredchili":1wjfdhos said:
gil_m":1wjfdhos said:

I quite fancy a set of SC32's, heard they can be unreliable which has put me off.Do you have to run their specific hub ?

I've been using a set of SC32's for a couple of years now and I really rate them very highly. The only reliability issues that I've ever heard about concerned the older black seals (rather than the newer blue ones) where the LH seal would blow out of the seal head and allow the semi-bath oil to be dumped straight onto the caliper and rotor. Less than ideal.....
However the newer blue seals don't appear to suffer from this issue and besides, you can always get anodised aluminium seal heads from Suspension Experts although they don't like selling them as a self-fit item- they want you to send the complete forks to them to do the job. It took all my undoubted charm to convince the CEO Kevin Booth to send me a set, and this was solely on the understanding that if I messed up the installation then that was my problem.

Anyway very nice, plush and tunable forks. I thoroughly recommend them.

Yes, you have to use the dedicated hub, which is very nice, although sealing is not wonderful. However, bearings (37x25x7 - 6805 2RS) are cheap and easy to fit. Hope also make a Maverick-fit spindle for the Pro 2 but some have reported problems in use as the wheel spindle isn't knurled like the Maverick one is.

I believe that production has now, unfortunately, ceased but of course S/H ones will still appear from time to time.

Back