Mavic 801 rear derailleur

sletti

Retro Guru
Hi

Maybe you chaps could help me with a conundrum.

In the for-sale section I have an early Mavic 801 rear derailleur and I have an issue with the top-bolt. On mine it is loose and has no back washer, but it does have a notch on the top of the unit suggesting that it should have something there.

Can anyone shed some light on if there should, because I have seen them without, and if so, what are my options (if any) for finding one.

Thanks

Stig

Attachments

• P1040383.JPG
    P1040383.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,947
  • P1040384.JPG
    P1040384.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,946
yes , it is missing a washer . google it to find a pciture of the parts you need . I managed to make one out of a big washer and a dremmel . not pretty but working .

that rear mech is very rare indeed .

Thanks for the info chaps.

But it is interesting how Campag mechs have no such washer/backplate and they seem to work okay. Mind you, the Campag has a bulge that would limit forward movement of the unit as it butts against the droput.

I think I need to mount some parts on an old frame to see how it works out becuase it is not clear in my head. :?

I have seen 2 diagrams and they both show a different part; weird!

And on the back of my mech as you can see, there are a couple of small holes that look like they engage with the part on the first diagram (i.e. not yellow), but mine has a notch in the top that I have not seen on any other version of this beastie...

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,862
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,863
Terrible memory I have but isn't the top one for a forged dropout and the lower for a pressed dropout that uses a separate Mavic designed hanger.

Apologies if wrong but it's been a while LOL

Shaun

I think yours is the original version. The missing part (800 021) is for adjusting the angle of the mech, to allow for different sized sprockets.

The "washer with 3 tabs" is the more common later version. The angle of the mech is fixed, but instead the the jockey cage is adjustable for different sized sprocket.

My guess is the slot is not shown in the diagram for simplicity, just like the slot at the top of the front plate is not shown either.

Back