'91 GT Avalanche

There's something about that paint job that works so well. :D

My Talera looks to share the same white.I might get it finished one day

033.jpg
;)

Or might start this :LOL:

KGrHqVosE9dM4mWHDBPq8I3Y860_12.jpg

matt@theforce":36m2r6qp said:
I decided to fit everything back on the bike and have a few rides to see what, if anything needed to be changed.

I also had another session on cleaning the rust & is currently like below, much better than when I got it but far from perfect.
150552_4720713214000_1963806496_n.jpg

545288_4720712973994_80923692_n.jpg

Once I'd had enough of scrubbing, I washed/dried the frame/forks again and then treated it to x2 coats of AutoGlym SRP & a couple of coats of AutoGlym EG to try and protect the frame a little and now it gleams :cool:

How it currently is now I've put it back together

Quick ride on the Trans Pennine Trail heading towards Dunford Bridge
20121109_150136.jpg

20121109_145706.jpg

20121109_145621.jpg

Over looking Langsett Resevour & the Peak District
20121110_104143.jpg

20121110_103948.jpg

Very Happy with it so far although there are a few little niggles to sort out.

To Sort
* The front wheel bearings need attention, there is a grinding feel when the wheel turns and there is sidewards play too
* The front mech shift up 1 chainring at a time however it will only shift down to the granny ring (not stop on the middle ring)
* New rear u-brake plate needed
* Handlebars creak when riding. Can't see any cracks on them

I'm still tempted togo 9sp as I have some shifters/cassette so won't need to buy much and it will solve my shifting problem

Matthew

The best GT, i love it.

Please don't go 3x9, I have nothing but trouble with mine on my Kula and it's shite compared to a well set up 3x7 setup of DX or XT. The problem you mention with the front shifter could be heavy handedness with the first gen push-push shifters as they are very sensitive on the downshift on the front. A gentle touch is all that is needed, if it still refuses it will just be sticky in there. A good douse with car brake cleaner to wash out the old sticky grease and a lube with something like white grease should see it working. If you can't get on with it (and I wouldn't blame you) I would swap to XT Thumbies and 2 finger levers (all my retros are Thumbies, two having been swapped with early STi's).

Carl.

drcarlos":1mou7aii said:
The best GT, i love it.

Please don't go 3x9, I have nothing but trouble with mine on my Kula and it's shite compared to a well set up 3x7 setup of DX or XT. The problem you mention with the front shifter could be heavy handedness with the first gen push-push shifters as they are very sensitive on the downshift on the front. A gentle touch is all that is needed, if it still refuses it will just be sticky in there. A good douse with car brake cleaner to wash out the old sticky grease and a lube with something like white grease should see it working. If you can't get on with it (and I wouldn't blame you) I would swap to XT Thumbies and 2 finger levers (all my retros are Thumbies, two having been swapped with early STi's).

Carl.

Carl,

I love it too and whole heartedly agree with it being the best one :cool:

Its actually very light to use, What happens is, when pressing the upper leaver the front mech drops to the middle ring (from the outer), however when you let go of the upper leaver (release it) it drops to the granny ring :cry:

I've been looking at other older shifters and they seem to sell for close to the price of new shifters and to be honest I'd rather not buy a 2nd hand one and end up with another lemon of a shifter, although I do like the idea of keeping the 7sp setup as it works very well.

Matthew

matt@theforce":2uxb2jg1 said:
drcarlos":2uxb2jg1 said:
The best GT, i love it.

Carl.

Carl,

I love it too and whole heartedly agree with it being the best one :cool:

Its actually very light to use, What happens is, when pressing the upper leaver the front mech drops to the middle ring (from the outer), however when you let go of the upper leaver (release it) it drops to the granny ring :cry:

I've been looking at other older shifters and they seem to sell for close to the price of new shifters and to be honest I'd rather not buy a 2nd hand one and end up with another lemon of a shifter, although I do like the idea of keeping the 7sp setup as it works very well.

Matthew

If it's shifting OK across the range it will just be a sticky pawl in the ratchet then so the brake cleaner, then regrease method should cure it. The thing with Thumbies is that they just don't go wrong or wear out so if they look good they will be good. The worst thing that happens is that ham fisted ones can strip the threads in the clamps in the XT's and people tend to state if they have been re-tapped.

Carl.

drcarlos":2557oip5 said:
If it's shifting OK across the range it will just be a sticky pawl in the ratchet then so the brake cleaner, then regrease method should cure it. The thing with Thumbies is that they just don't go wrong or wear out so if they look good they will be good. The worst thing that happens is that ham fisted ones can strip the threads in the clamps in the XT's and people tend to state if they have been re-tapped.

Carl.

Thanks,

Will get some brake cleaner and give it a try. Is it worth taking the shifter apart to clean it?

Matthew

matt@theforce":16xxfdtd said:
drcarlos":16xxfdtd said:

Carl.

Thanks,

Will get some brake cleaner and give it a try. Is it worth taking the shifter apart to clean it?

Matthew

Only detaching the bottom cover, which should be from memory be 1 screw, nothing else as they are quite complicated and will readily self destruct if you remove any other screws.

Carl.

This brings back some memories. Mine is sat in the garage and has not been used for probably 15 years!

This thread has inspired me to get it fixed up into a good state again so I can take it out.

Used to go up into the the Peak district every weekend on it. All around Kinder and the Goyt Valley.

I'll post a few pics when I get a minute.

91 Avalanche

Nice bike....

My 92 Avalanche is one of my favourite rides....

Reminds me of what mountain bike riding was like before suspension came along...

Enjoy the bike.....

foggy":1650oeol said:
This brings back some memories. Mine is sat in the garage and has not been used for probably 15 years!

This thread has inspired me to get it fixed up into a good state again so I can take it out.

Used to go up into the the Peak district every weekend on it. All around Kinder and the Goyt Valley.

I'll post a few pics when I get a minute.

I'm glad this has given you some inspiration :D . As mentioned earlier this was my dream bike as a teenager and it certainly hasn't disapointed.

Now get it cleaned up and get out for a ride ;)

Brettels":1650oeol said:
Nice bike....

My 92 Avalanche is one of my favourite rides....

Reminds me of what mountain bike riding was like before suspension came along...

Enjoy the bike.....

Oh, yes. Riding this is certainly different to a suspension bike. I've ridden a few light trails so far (just getting used to it & seeing if anything breaks) but it certainly feels fun to ride & I'm loving it :)

Sadly I was supposed to be out riding it today on my swing shift but late yesterday my shifts were changed & I've not got 4 extra shifts in the next 2blocks so doubt I'll get out on it until closer to xmas :(

On the upside my anodized bottle cage holders arrived yesterday :cool:

Matthew

Back