Not just for Scotchlanders

velomaniac":3kgsemvd said:
Porridge is quite nice made only with water and just a pinch of salt,

I understand the 'normal' way is to add sugar or fruit to it,perhaps thats just a way of making it appear 'modern'

You'll appreciate this Velo

I make some real porridge.The oats bought local fro, the shop in Fort William,this is some 25 yrs ago and up there there was about 3 shops :LOL: .I was camping up the glen and used the melt water cascading down Nevis into the Glen Nevis river at the falls[Steall falls i think theyre called
I can still taste it.

Fukcing horrible :LOL: :LOL:

velomaniac":1dohlboa said:
Traditionally some folk, who I consider weird even by my homelands extreme standards, used to allow porridge to set then slice it up and fry it up with onions as a savoury dish :shock:

That does sound odd indeed. Are you sure it's a traditional Scottish idea? Personally I suspect the hand of Blumenthal in any such weirdness.... ;)

David

David B":1pgkl2r9 said:
velomaniac":1pgkl2r9 said:
Traditionally some folk, who I consider weird even by my homelands extreme standards, used to allow porridge to set then slice it up and fry it up with onions as a savoury dish :shock:

That does sound odd indeed. Are you sure it's a traditional Scottish idea? Personally I suspect the hand of Blumenthal in any such weirdness.... ;)

David

I think the true origins of porridge have become lost or somewhat clouded :? I was under the impression that porridge was derived from the dish 'pottage' which was a vegetable soup with oats and barley in it :?
Certainly adding barley to soup is a Scottish thing as my dear old Mum and her, Mum added it to their soups.
Ive also heard about slicing it up and carrying it in the bag/sporran for a type of early packed lunch :?

I have mine with water, a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon or lime. A friend has a couple of drops of Tabasco! Milk and sugar is for pussies :p

dyna-ti":2skcxfc2 said:
Certainly adding barley to soup is a Scottish thing as my dear old Mum and her, Mum added it to their soups.

Not unknown south of the border either, Mum's casseroles and stews often have barley in them. Not a great fan myself texture-wise, I find pearl barley in stews etc. a bit glutinous. Then again, the best place for barley is a maltings thence to the Knowle Spring Brewery in Keighley.... :)

David

When I was a kid I used to make it with full fat milk straight from the cow, then pour it into a bowl with butter, sugar, golden syrup and extra milk and when you had eaten the porridge there was this syrupy buttery liquid to enjoy. Yummm

Alison

i bought some scots porrige oats last week. they do original and old fasioned "thick".
so i invesigated the difference (i dont want a box of gravel)
original 1/2 a cup of oats to 275ml of milk
thick 1/2 cup of oats to 185 ml of milk
they even had differtent boxes for packaging :roll: :roll:

I've just made some, so it should be cool enough to eat without burning all the skin off the roof of my mouth in about 2 hours. :D

Think you're confused Chute... there is a very big difference between the "original" and "old fashioned" varieties that Scott's sell, not just how much water you need to make them up with - the "old fashioned" ones are much "rougher" than the normal.

My ideal bowl of porridge is half a mug of oats, nearly full mug of water, good dose of salt (1/2 tsp or so? I never measure it), boiled up nice and thick... served with heaps of dark brown sugar, a splash of cream and a bit of full cream milk. Had some last night, lovely!

Back