1990 Haro Extreme

I wish I had found this thread earlier. I just went through a restoration of an Extreme.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228182

This one is 21" c-t-c. I am not tall, but have enhanced legs. Makes bike fit difficult. I may get a no setback seatpost.

BTW, does anyone know what the two brazeons are for on the "bottom" tube by the BB? Not enough clearance for a bottle.

RFC":3c4fyrbg said:
I wish I had found this thread earlier. I just went through a restoration of an Extreme.

This one is 21" c-t-c. I am not tall, but have enhanced legs. Makes bike fit difficult. I may get a no setback seatpost.

BTW, does anyone know what the two brazeons are for on the "bottom" tube by the BB? Not enough clearance for a bottle.

I assumed it was for a bottle cage, but I haven't tried to fit one. I said earlier that it could be a crudcatcher mount, however looking at mine I see that the braze ons are offset and not central on the tube. :? I don't plan to use them anyway though, I'm just gonna put some ano bolts in them

Sean

SEANSTEPHENS":cufhn3ft said:
RFC":cufhn3ft said:

I assumed it was for a bottle cage, but I haven't tried to fit one. I said earlier that it could be a crudcatcher mount, however looking at mine I see that the braze ons are offset and not central on the tube. :? I don't plan to use them anyway though, I'm just gonna put some ano bolts in them

Sean

I always thought they were for a bottle cage on my Extreme. As you said they are offset to the left side of the frame making it easier to get a bottle out, not that you would ever use them.

I would go with the blue repaint on your bike it reminds me of the 91 Haro Extreme, it should look good when finished. I think the Haros are a bit underated being Taiwanese but they ride pretty well and IMHO look pretty good.

Good luck with the build.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that the 90 and 91 Extremes were built in the USA before the Haro merger.

I'm not to sure now if they were made in Taiwan. The 91 catalogue I have reads:

"American pride. Haro is proud to announce that many of our 1991 models are assembled in the U.S.A. at Raleigh's Kent, Washington factory. Look for the American flag as your assurance of superior quality."

Now this could be interpreted a couple of ways. The frames were made in Taiwan and the bikes were assembled in America or the frames were actually made and assembled in America. The statement seems a bit ambiguous. Seven out of the 11 models in the 91 range have the American flag, only the bottom four don't have the flag.

Thoughts?

trailboss":1u3mtcqs said:
I'm not to sure now if they were made in Taiwan. The 91 catalogue I have reads:

"American pride. Haro is proud to announce that many of our 1991 models are assembled in the U.S.A. at Raleigh's Kent, Washington factory. Look for the American flag as your assurance of superior quality."

Now this could be interpreted a couple of ways. The frames were made in Taiwan and the bikes were assembled in America or the frames were actually made and assembled in America. The statement seems a bit ambiguous. Seven out of the 11 models in the 91 range have the American flag, only the bottom four don't have the flag.

Thoughts?

the 1990 has a graphic on the down tube which reads 'made in taiwan' whereas the 1991 model has a USA graphic on the seat tube, so maybe they were made in the states from 1991 onwards

sean

Update: 08/11/2012

thought id begin work on the forks this week

The forks as removed from the frame
2.jpg

i started with 120 grit, 800, then 1200
1.jpg

i gave then them 3 coats of white primer i had left over from another project, i'll probably give them another coat of grey when i prime the frame..... the frame itself is coming along nicely too
3.jpg

17/11/2012: i wanted this extreme to be something a bit different from all the other examples you see on retrobike. most of the members who had their input on the poll voted either orange or green, and failing on deciding between the two colours i decided to settle for a colour that is between the two but also stands out..... yellow ;)

heres some pics, let me know your thoughts

cheers, sean :)

p4pb7264358.gif

p4pb7264358.gif

p4pb7264358.gif

Back