Perrin Maillard Wheels

Logan1475":4wowutjd said:
Hi, how much would a set of wheels be made up around the hubs? Would you be able to source some appropriate Mavic rims sympathetic to an 80's Peugeot?

It is possible to find period campagnolo rims as NOS, Mavic only modern open pro or reflex if you want tubolars.
Price around 180 pounds with quality DT Swiss competition spokes, brass nipples and washers, a touch less with ACI spokes

EDIT: I nearly forgot about the Mavic MA 40 which are perfect to restore period wheels and still available, although the supply is a bit patchy

Midlife":2z8wuxxu said:
http://www.mrrabbit.net/docs/spokeheads/main.html

Look like Berg Union chrome spokes = strength of a rotten carrot today LOL

As David B says need rebuilding :)

The sticker is a Superchampion sticker and usually had a mate next door on the rim to say what it was...that sticker is quite straight, back in the 70's they came stuck on the rims at some funny angles and we reckoned the guys were simply drunk on a friday afternoon :D

Rims look serviceable to me........

Shaun

The rims might be reusable, but no reputable builder would take on the job... They might fail during the build or just after... They might also last another 10 years... It is a gamble

Perrin Maillard Advert

Just found this attached Advert for Perrin Maillard Hubs from around 1973. I don't read french but it looks as though it is saying that these hubs were used by Tour de France stage winners amongst other.

Can anyone translate?

Attachments

• 1973-07.jpg
    1973-07.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 359
Terrific ad, Logan - it must be late 73 or early 74 because the resuilts for Joop Zoetmelk are 73 results and Thevenet won the French Road Race in 73 - all in the days when high flanges were gospel!!

What a blunder not to mention Michael Wright - one of a few an early Brit stage winners long before Wiggo was a twinkle in his old man's eye - stage 10 of the 73 Tour de F.

colnagolover":3g3ngnhl said:
What a blunder not to mention Michael Wright - one of a few an early Brit stage winners long before Wiggo was a twinkle in his old man's eye - stage 10 of the 73 Tour de F.

Ah, but was his bike equipped with these hubs?

I believe so - the ad says that Perrin Maillard hubs were on the Peugeot and Gitane team bikes of Thevenet, Ovion, Danguillaume, Leman, Mattioda, Zoetemelk and Michael Wright when achieving the results shown and all of the results are from 1973.

colnagolover":jd56fsnx said:
I believe so - the ad says that Perrin Maillard hubs were on the Peugeot and Gitane team bikes of Thevenet, Ovion, Danguillaume, Leman, Mattioda, Zoetemelk and Michael Wright when achieving the results shown and all of the results are from 1973.

But he was (nominally) British and in those days Brits didn't count when reviewing TdF etc. results. :roll:

How right you are - it took Tom Simpson to really get a write up for Brits but Barry Hoban didn't do too bad - and when the TdF was contested by national teams, he rode for GB. In '71, he rode with one of the greats - Luis Ocana - (as well as a Danish hero, Leif Mortensen), in the BiC team.
But that's got nothiun g to do with Perrin Maillard hubs ;)

Back