Fork Dilemma

B77

Senior Retro Guru
Ok so been after a pair of triple clamp forks for a while and now been offered 2 sets, marzocchi Shiver 190s or 888 Rcx both for the same price but can't decide which. Already got some Rc2x Va and they're a lovely fork and do the job very wellbut always fancied some Shivers......

So which way to jump ?

Shivers are old tech now.
190mm travel upside down design
They flex a bit too

I'd much rather the 888's tbh as they are still regarded as a decent dh/fr fork

But then, it depends on what bike they are being fitted to

Yeah I'll probably go with the 888s, they're going on a 2009 Stinky Six.....

In that case, I wouldn't bother with either.
I'd go with some 66's/55's/domains/lyrics etc

I have an irrational fear of single crowns for downhill, I've snapped one set and bent others and my current 55s really don't inspire confidence so really want dual crowns.

I've had both...

I loved my Shivers, they were truly great forks. I've never had any as plush since and I never really noticed the flex. I bought them from a guy on the bike shops race team who had hammered them for a couple of seasons, I then had them and took them to Morzine etc and they never missed a beat.

My 888's were on my Demo 9 and they were good forks too, but they weren't very progressive and made the most god almighty noise when they bottomed out. I never found the sweet spot with the compression settings, so just lived with the odd big bottom out, which was most noticeable on big slow speed drops. Can't say I found them noticeably stiffer than the Shivers. But they did look bad ass on an all black bike with the decals removed.

You won't go wrong with either fork.

Latest posts

Back