rapid rise

It certainly works well when it is new, only when it ages and the spring weakens does trouble start. For me that was after about 5000 miles.

Some really great reply here guys cheers. And after reading JamesM's reply, i think im gonna give it a go. what you have written really does make sense and you have pretty much answered all my questions i was wanting to know. Rapid rise it is then. :D

Tip - when your bike is not in use, leave it in the lowest gear so the mech spring is not under tension, should keep the spring strength up for longer then (although this does mean the chain tension spring is under greater tension during periods of storage :? )

Dickyboy":jppccaud said:
Tip - when your bike is not in use, leave it in the lowest gear so the mech spring is not under tension, should keep the spring strength up for longer then (although this does mean the chain tension spring is under greater tension during periods of storage :? )

Actually, for long periods of storage (like an entire winter), I tend to put it in the correct gear (granny gears for a Rapid Rise bike) and then either take off the bottom pulley or the entire rear mech (by simply unscrewing the top bolt). It's 30 seconds of work to put it back on, and it allows you to take the stress off the chain and all springs in the mech.

Back