MAVIC 631 + 631/2 starfish Bottom Bracket

Cooker

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all,
I was wondering what BB to use with a Mavic 631 crank.
I don't want to use the proper Mavic BB as that would recquire cutting my BB threads.
I think I need a 113mm with ISO taper????
What offerings from Campagnolo (correct taper) can I use?
Cheers.

Also, is the 631 crank and the 631/2 use the same BB?

mavic chainset

hi there. i found a 113mm campag sealed bottom bracket worked great, and it had a nice sympathetic silver finish. obviously the length will depend on your frame, but the campag taper (whatever it is!) worked a treat. hope this helps

Cooker":883rzrw3 said:
Yes, I think 113mm Campag is the alternate way to go.
Anyone else have any thoughts?
Cheers

Campag & Mavic use the same BB/crank taper. From memory the standard double Mavic 631 BB is 114mm. I still have one of these BB's (now gathering dust) and used it with a mid 90's Campag chainset (designed for a 111mm BB) without problems. Another friend has one of these BB's mated to a '93 Chorus chainset and in nearly 20 years he has had no cause to touch the BB! The chainline on the Mavic can be slightly adjusted as there are lockrings on both the drive and non-drive sides. As for chamfering the BB to accept the bracket, again this is a very slight chamfering and causes no damage to the threads. I would use the Mavic BB with the Mavic chainset as this unit is miles better quality than any of the sealed Campag BB's. If not then as you say , 113 Campag is on the money length wise. If you ever wanted your BB chamfering I believe Paul Hewitt Cycles still have the chamfering tool.

+1 to what it says above - you don't need to cut threads to run a Mavic BB - you just add a taper which means you can still run a normal BB afterwards. (They are nice BBs - I have three of them installed on bikes - but I also have the special tool...)

But as previously pointed out - an adjustable chainline Campag 113 would do the trick...

I have a stronglight ISO taper BB thats fine too.
edited to say I have noticed the soft alloy crank does not get much support when a "fatter" JIS tapered spindle is used but it works ok the other way around as long as the rings or inside of the arms don't hit the frame as they go on further.

Back