Schwinn Homegrown Comp 2001

eshew

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just wanted to post the newest member of my growing (but hopefully shrinking soon says the wife) bike family.

After helping my riding partner update his old red Cannondale Beast with some newer components to survive our favorite sloping rock, tree and root infested trails I had an epiphany. If I were to ride my only hardtail, a 1990 Giant ATX 780 at high speeds on anything aside from a gravel road or sidewalk I would most likely become injured in a severe manner quite quickly.

That was the one motivation I needed to begin scouring local bike ads for another (dont tell the wife, #5) bike that would give me half a chance on our favorite trails. After missing out on a few bikes that I had no business bringing on trails (I gots the bike buying itch) I stumbled across this gem.

Now, normally I'm a kona man....its been my dream to own a 2001 Kona Score, however, they are as rare as....well they are pretty rare. Low and behold I see this bike, a 19" (my size) show up in a pic-less ad for $125. After being skunked more than a few times for being the 2nd or 3rd person to reply to an ad I quickly emailed the owner that I would be more than happy to offer more than the asking price if he would forget about any other offers.... Lucky me, he agreed.

Now the bike isnt perfect, the rear rim had a flat spot that I quickly tried to true and....well I destroyed the rim in under 3 minutes with my handy spoke wrench, went from 3 revolutions per gentle spin, to half a spin and a dead stop. The front shifter also only shifts 1 ring, pretty sure it's damaged beyond repair. Luckily I have the parts to make it trail ready!

I don't know how popular these bikes are across the pond...but damn does it look sweet!

Attachments

• HG1.jpg
    HG1.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 1,929
So of us like them a lot. But they are rare over here.
Shame your photo isn't working

This is the comp frame so its 3.4 rather than 2.9. But still plenty light and it looks gorgeous.

I have the same bike. It had been in storage until this July. Barely ridden and only a few storage nicks. Sweet ride.

Attachments

• 1 2001 HG Comp Rt Side.jpg
    1 2001 HG Comp Rt Side.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 1,703
slope":2dem1emr said:
I always loved the bass boat paint on the Schwinn's

The bassboat paint with clear coat is certainly more durable than the 2000/2001 anodized finish. Schwinn claimed a half pound weight reduction with the anodized.

:eek: :eek: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: , " Yummy" , I'm really impressed by the way this Home Grown looks as i was always a fan of the 96 model but couldn't afford one but now i'm left feeling rather jealous to say the least :shock: ..

Back