nailing on cleat plates - advice sought

gmac123

MacRetro Rider
as last minutes preparation for the weekends jaunt to italy, I've manage to locate some proper leather soled shoes and cleats.

i have various sizes of hammers, I have a cobblers last... but when trying to nail the plate onto sole I'm bending the nails regardless of hammers or technique.

currently I have the soles in shallow water to soften the leather

any advice appreciated before I start round 2 (or nail bending)

A lot of shoes had steel stiffening plates. We used short wood screws to hold on the shoe plates, possibly after lining them up with some adhesive.
Probably drill the holes out a bit, and put in a few extras.

keithglos":1be1lvk1 said:
A lot of shoes had steel stiffening plates. We used short wood screws to hold on the shoe plates, possibly after lining them up with some adhesive.
Probably drill the holes out a bit, and put in a few extras.

think you're right about the steel plate, they're old detto pietro shoes. the nail goes in 4-5mm then bends, so now assuming it's hitting steel as the the leather soles have two layers, so probably steel inbetween.

I've thumped ten nails in each and folded them over, the cleat (surprising) sits fine and tested ok over a couple of urban miles. although, I think I'll revert to the original shoes for the l'eroica, as all those km's on the untested is probably not a good idea.

thanks

Midlife":1dwey0ts said:
I presume you were using the correct leather nails?

Shaun

I assume so, they're like small carpet nails, local cobbler gave me them after seeing the shoes and plates, then found there was a bag of identical nails in the packet

Yep, wide with a thin point that's meant to hit he last or steel plate and then curl over to keep the plate in and not stab the foot :D

Shaun

I've worked in the Netherlands as a "tooth healing artist" LOL

I wonder if someone from there will explain why the Dutch for a hair tangle is so funny :)

Shaun

Back