Sending parcels abroad

DegsUk

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just sold some parts and the buyer has asked me to mark the customs form as gift ...anyone else done this any risks involved ? :p

Not really, though if it's to the US and you get caught, you could be facing extradition and 10 years not daring to take a shower...

suburbanreuben":f81we0ok said:
Not really, though if it's to the US and you get caught, you could be facing extradition and 10 years not daring to take a shower...
your profile pic looks like a man ready to take that risk

bigmick":19n70kcq said:
suburbanreuben":19n70kcq said:
your profile pic looks like a man ready to take that risk
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I've had no problems with marking a gift as a gift. :cool:
Alternatively you could write a value of 5$ on the package. That will also do the trick.

juice":10fqg39k said:
I've had no problems with marking a gift as a gift. :cool:
Alternatively you could write a value of 5$ on the package. That will also do the trick.

I recently bought a part and had it shipped from the US. I paid $29.99 (23 euros) including US VAT. It was advertised as such on the customs declaration.
According to the paperwork, Belgian customs had put a 17 euro import tax + VAT on it, and FedEx added a 10 euro fee because they had to advance that money to get the item through customs.
That's more taxes and expenses than the item itself was worth.

So yes, either label it as gift or write on the customs declaration that the items in the package are 2nd hand and old, or that you're shipping it for repairs.
They may let it go through that way.

You are at no risk whatsoever.

In the UK we are subject to the following on import:

2.3 What are the limits for customs duty and import VAT?

Commercial consignments i.e goods you have purchased, of £15 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT.
Note: This does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters; these items are excluded from the relief of duty and VAT at import.
In addition, commercial consignments sent to the UK from the Channel Islands do not benefit from any relief of import VAT.
If you are sent a gift with a value of £40 or less, which complies with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4, it will be free from customs duty and import VAT. Gifts of alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters are subject to the limits shown in paragraph 2.5, while gifts of perfumes and toilet waters are subject to the limits in paragraph 2.6.
Customs duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.

In summary:

Goods Value*

Customs Charges applicable

£0.01 to £15

No customs duty
No Import VAT**

£15.01 to £135

No customs duty
Import VAT due

£135.01 and greater

Customs duty due, but waived if the amount calculated due is less than £9
Import VAT due

*Excludes the following goods: alcohol; tobacco products; perfumes and toilet waters. These items do not benefit from the relief of customs duty or VAT at import, and alcohol and tobacco products will also be liable to excise duty.

**Commercial consignments sent to the UK from the Channel Islands do not benefit from relief of import VAT.

There are a number of other circumstances where relief from some or all customs charges may be available. If you think your goods may be eligible for a relief you should contact the HMRC Excise and Customs Helpline on Tel 0845 010 9000 for further information.

from HMRC website

the lady in the post office was most helpful and after getting a price onlinr for £47.90 she got it down to £27 with a signature ! great stuff from the PO

Latest posts

Back