Who's ridden a 29er and didn't like it?

Soon all of those 26" holes that your 26" wheel drops into, stops and rotates you over the bars will be 29" holes and 26ers will be able to smoothly roll in and out of them. Whereas 29er riders will end up on the ground ;) :LOL:

brocklanders023":3cp0fmex said:
Just called in to Stif as I was passing and had a look at the Orange Gyro. Must admit it's very nice. :cool:

Not patronising you or anyone but its going to be something to try rather than look at. It was reviewed in this months WMB or MBUK (I forget which) and didnt get a glowing report.

Would love to try a 29er. Looking for a cheapy but even on ones seem to go for £90 second hand, when you can get them new for £139.

Dont seem to be many second hand yet either, ebay and the like, but that will filter through I guess.

http://www.mbaction.com/Main/News/Shootout_Wheel_Wars_29_vs_275_vs_26_5159.aspx

Think that article is interesting.

Of course I am a Jamis fanboy so I am biased.

080_MBAc12%20copy.jpg

I had been contemplating 29 but now my heart tells me to shoot for 27.5 first.

Depends if I can fit a 650 set on my favourite 26 frame!

:)

coomber":kym34fg3 said:
brocklanders023":kym34fg3 said:
Just called in to Stif as I was passing and had a look at the Orange Gyro. Must admit it's very nice. :cool:

Not patronising you or anyone but its going to be something to try rather than look at. It was reviewed in this months WMB or MBUK (I forget which) and didnt get a glowing report.

Would love to try a 29er. Looking for a cheapy but even on ones seem to go for £90 second hand, when you can get them new for £139.

Dont seem to be many second hand yet either, ebay and the like, but that will filter through I guess.

Don't worry, I'd defo have a demo before taking the plunge and don't think it'd be a Gyro anyway. Will take a lot to get me off a 5.

On the review side of things.... I find it strange that the 5 seems to win trail bike of the year in one of the main mags but never gets a mention in the others. I've read a review of the Gyro online that gave big thumbs up. Proof, if it was needed that you should always try a bike instead of going by the recommendations of the mags (slaves to the ad men?).

I expect it was MBR that gave the Five a good review, they love them, whereas if you read WMB or MBUK they seem less convinced. Not tried one to make an opinion, but if you read the threads on Bikeradar the topic of Orange seems to be "highly debated" should we say.

Have Orange plans to make a hardtail 29er? Or do they already?

They've just introduced one. Unfortunatly they called it the 'Clockwork'. :(

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/clockwork/

Arn't MBUK and WMB basically the same mag? Call each other sister mag or something like that. Who do you believe if one mag says X is ace and the other says it's meh?

Must admit I stopped looking at the bikeradar forums because they were full of uninformed trolls just looking for a rise. There's a few mega posters and if you disagree with their thoughts the wolves attack. I asked a few times if those with strong opinions had actually ridden the bikes they slate and it always went quite. Got very tedius. STW's not perfect but seems a little more balanced.

Back