Strava

scottmac":3cb6vr1c said:
Remember to turn your Garmin/whatever off/on ½ a mile away from your door as it leads potential scum to your bike collection. :evil:

You can tweek the settings so that it does not show your route within a certain distance of the start / finish. First thing I did.

Anybody else noticed that the figures that are on your GPS do not match up with those on Strava ?

vivelesalpes":1xi0ats2 said:
You can tweek the settings so that it does not show your route within a certain distance of the start / finish. First thing I did.

It's also worth putting in a few postcodes near you set at different distances, that way there is no odvious centre point if you go off in all directions from your home.

I have also noted that things like the calorie usage figures are different on the Garmin and Strava, but put that down to different ways it is calculated.

I just tried strava yesterday with my htc in my back pocket. I quite like it - accuracy seems very high. But is there any way to make my profile completely private? from what I can see, a profile can be seen by anyone on strava at the very least, and while it's possible to set an invisible zones (to avoid giving away your exact home location, for example), don't these then remove some distance from the rides? What I want is to make my information and rides available only to me, no-one else. is this possible? what about on the garmin site (i hope to get a garmin sometime soon)

Andy

I've hidden my name, just used paininthe but you have to put something in surname. You can make all your rides private. You can make your home location to be hidden up to a mile radius. It is as secret as you wish. I hide all my commutes, otherwise it can clutter groups up eg- Retrobikes

The most fun comes with the challenge. I've just lost my KOM to some one. Out in an hour to try and get it back. I've never raced or time trialled but this seems the closest to it.

On one of my regular run outs I can have 5 or 6 different timed sections to challenge my self against. I do not have to show folks how good or bad I am.

strava.jpg

Horribly addictive thing this... I'm using endomondo on my windows phone to create the gpx files that I then upload into Straca... I have then segmented my entire commute into (and out of) Manchester in bite size inter-traffic light chunks. I now see every little stretch as another 'race'... you can even race one, then rest one to get your breath back... on the back of this now thinking of joining a cycling club...

it has very quickly become my route tracker of choice.i love the league tables and the fact that when i know there is a segment ahead it makes me push that little bit harder.

Just joined strava , Normally just upload to mapmyride

Quite addictive just passed an hour!! :shock:

bm0p700f":2ajphna5 said:
Don't own a garmin. I don't get it really.

You just need a phone with gps function... (and the downloaded Strava App) then wherever you ride, if someone's done that route, or any part of it before, you can compare your times... becomes quite addictive, trying to be the fastest person on a particular segment (known as the KOM)... I'd avoid it if I were you - dangerously addictive!!

Latest posts

Back